1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Resign or Settlement Agreement ? Help!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jamesrobert9699, Apr 27, 2018.

1. jamesrobert9699

jamesrobert9699 New commenter

So have posted quite recently about suffering from bad Stress, anxiety and depression triggered by events at school and currently off work due to this (bullying etc.) This week have started to feel a little bit back to my former self which I never thought would happen and want to escape the school which my doctor/occupational health etc. have advised would be best for my health. I was set on going down a grievance path/Settlement before this week but after talking to my Union advisor this week I feel a little unsure now. I have worked just less than 2 years so will not be covered by employment protection. Union advisor has started discussions this week.

First option : The settlement aggrement I know is not going to be a lot of money and if I’m honest I could not face the school in person so if I had to go down the grievance route I presume I would have to have face to face interviews etc. I’m more interested in the agreed reference. I wonder if anyone knows how long these take to negotiate ?

I’ve also got the option of resigning .However no gurantee of a ‘good’ reference’ however my union advisor said she believed that the school valued me... This reference she told me would be more personal and less obvious than a Settlement agreement.

I feel very wronged by the school and part of me wanted to feel valiadated however thinking about my health I want to think about a new career and a total cut away from this environment as soon as possible.

TES readers, what would your advice be ?

2. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

If the school value you, they aren't going to want to go for a SA IMHO.
    They will want you to get well, and to come back to work when that is the case.

mothergoose2013 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

People don't go for the SA for the money. There is often none. But the union says the reference will sound generic? Well, they'd better insist on one you can AGREE on (the clue is in the A of SA).

Honestly. Tell the union what you want the reference to say. The money's not worth a damn. Especially given your brief sojourn there. But the union can get their bloody finger out and work on your behalf!

4. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

No one knows the right answer for you and your circumstances. The one piece of advice I can give is that you should put off making a big decision until you are better. Making a big decision can be good in the sense that it gives us a feeling of being back in control, as such it reduces some anxiety on a temporary basis. Feeling better, and then struggling again, is a cyclical part of the recovery process, (my experience: you, and others, may disagree).
    Take some time to feel a little better for a while, get yourself out and about, and do not rush things. I remember my perspective changing massively across weeks, days and even hours. The urge to fix things for myself was very strong but I was also unaware of how ill I was until I got better.
    Go easy on yourself, and remember that it is just a job.

5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good advice from @mothergoose2013 You need to be strong and well to decide your fate. When you are unwell you can not think straight.

I suggest you ring the Education Support Partnerships and talk it through with them. You can tell them everything and they will be in a better position to say what the best option is, in their opinion.

Have a great weekend and given yourself a break from the idiots at work!