1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residuals - Unfair?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by easyeasy, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I have come to the conclusion that in maths due to the two tier system that any residuals calculated on bottom groups is unfair. For example I have the bottom group in one band of pupils who are only in this band due to their english or science. Therefore they were all destined for the Foundation paper. Of course in other subjects they are doing Higher papers, or non tiered ones. Surely I am at a disadvantage already?

2. I have come to the conclusion that in maths due to the two tier system that any residuals calculated on bottom groups is unfair. For example I have the bottom group in one band of pupils who are only in this band due to their english or science. Therefore they were all destined for the Foundation paper. Of course in other subjects they are doing Higher papers, or non tiered ones. Surely I am at a disadvantage already?

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Just as a matter of interest, what are residuals?

4. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

its the difference between there math score and the avearge of all other subjects for the school (usually adjusted to allow for national differences.
    Ie. national studenst might score 0.1 below the mean of other subjects. If you are beloew this you have a negative residual suggesting they have performed worse in mathematics then they did in thee other subjects.

5. Maths_Mike

Maths_Mike New commenter

Actually I often find the groups can be the easiest to get positive residual with as there points scores in other subjects tend to be lower!
    It up to you to ensure the are entered for the correct maths exam relative to their maths ability - if you are entering then at the wrong level and hence they are underacheiving then of course their residuals are going to be negative

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

And the point of this is?
    Does it actually improve the learning of the children to have them measured against some national scale somewhere?

7. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Our school has simply worked out the residual as the difference between the average point score for each pupil and their grade in each subject. Does anyone know what the expectation is for different subjects. Eg How to adjust for expectation of different subjects?

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Being in a school where the less able students tend to enter more BTEC subjects, we find that this inflates their average point score which means that residuals for Maths are lower than those achieved overall.
    Our residuals clearly fall from set 1 down to set 5.
    We base our analysis on their FFT grades instead.

9. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

This is the one I find most useful for comparing across subject areas.

http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/1589/GCSE%20RESULTS.pdf

10. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

What you probably need is the 2011 version of this: www.six.somerset.gov.uk/ist/do_download.asp?did=26182

11. The school Raise online document (that all schools get) has the residuals for most subjects in your school and also compares them to national figures (for example MFL subjects end up being 0.5 of a grade lower than other subjects on average. Maths comes out about the average of other subjects).

Another meaning of residuals that some schools use is the mean of the differences between the FFT B target and the achieved grade of each student in your class.

Of course residuals on an individual teacher basis are meaningless - what if I pick up a class who have had a shocking teacher in years 7-9. I help them get average GCSE results in the end and get a zero residual but I have done a wonderous job to unpick the mess they were in.

And another class who has had a fab teacher years 7-9. Even if I am a rubbish teacher they'll still end up with decent results so I'll get a good residual.

How do you unpick the effect of the teachers who came before me from my impact?

I'm now on SLT in charge of using data to raise achievement.

I was having staff asking me if they could withdraw a student from exams who they expected to get a D but who was expected to get higher in other subjects. If they withdrew them they wouldn't appear in their stats and their residual as a teacher would be higher. How perverse is that? I told them withdrawl would count as a U grade!

I killed residuals on a teacher level at the end of my first year.

12. lancsHOD

lancsHOD New commenter

Can you use the raiseonline residuals from last year for this year's calculations?

13. Residuals are the stresses that remain in a material after the original cause of the stresses, such as external forces, heat gradient, or bad behavoiur, have been removed.