1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential visits!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by YorksLad2, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Good ones if you're looking for a structured evening activity are the egg drop game or rocket mouse. rocket mouse can be found on the link below. Egg parachute (or whatever idea they come up with) is basically a task to create a way of protecting an egg when dropped from a height. Give set amount of materials; i.e. 2 sheets of newspaper, 2m of sticky tape, 2m of string, a carrier bag a balloon and a pair of scissors. Get them to work in teams of say 5, choose their own or mix em up. Both good activities and could easily last over an hour if you structure it well. Explanation, 15 mins planning time with pencil and paper giving each group some feedback/hints, 30-40 mins building time and of course the time it takes to test them all. You could then look at the winning design and open a discussion about why it won and how it could be improved even further.
    In the past I have also given a really reduced amount of materials and provided a quiz to win more materials.

linkhttp://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/educators/classroom_and_homework_resources/resources/rocket_mice.aspx

2. PS Thanks for 'Quiet Ball'....they loved that one today!

3. manic28

manic28 New commenter

No probs Waterfin. Glad it went well!

4. All I can say is THANK YOU!!! The games you've all suggested were all popular with the other staff on the visit, and the children loved them! Thanks for making the visit less stressful - a great time, even with lack of sleep was had by all.

Rich

5. Glad it went well Rich [​IMG]