1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential visits to farms

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Ionapsmith, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Ionapsmith

Ionapsmith New commenter

Hi all,
    My husband is a Dairy Farmer in Oxfordshire and I teach at an Academy locally. We currently have a pedigree herd of 200 Holstein Friesian Cows. We currently offer student the opportunities for work placements from year 10 up but having recently won an award for the Future of Farming for hosting students and giving them opportunities. At the moment we work closely with two local schools and have had some students come to use the farm as a case study for GCSE Science coursework as well as another small group of BTEC first students doing Animal Health Care as well as an A Level Science group. I use the farm as a case study for my Business Studies Students too.

We are looking into putting in a residential block to host small groups (max 12). Students would be come Mon - Friday and carry out day to day tasks on the farm as well as learning to cook food that is either locally produced or home grown for the whole group. We are looking at tying in what we offer to BTEC units and ASDAN qualifications. All students would also receive a full report that could be used for references etc. I just wanted some feedback please from practitioners in SEND to see if this is something that you would take the opportunity to do? the kind of cost per student you would think would be acceptable? the sort of things you would want in place should you bring students ? All advice and suggestions gratefully received.