1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential visits for A Level

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by mkl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. mkl

mkl New commenter

Why do you want to make it residential?
    If you are not in London, would you consider taking them there? I have taken my Yr12 students (who take the same course as yours) on day trips to the following places over the years:
    the London Planetarium (ties in with the Cosmological Argument / Religion and Science etc.)
    the Freud Museum (Freud's views on religion / conscience)
    the Tyburn Convent (Religious Experience)
    various temporary exhibitions (e.g. the 'Treasures of Heaven' at the British Museum last year or the 'Sacred' exhibition at the British Library some years ago);
    this year I am taking them to the National Gallery and am making up a quiz on the religious paintings there.
    Even if it does not tie in very closely with the syllabus it is still an enrichment activity as many of my students have never been to those places.

2. Thank you mkl. That is very helpful. The Freud Museum is a great idea for my A2 class.
    The residential is more because they want to go away somewhere. I do remember hearing about schools that take students away, but I can't emember where!

3. RCMJ

RCMJ New commenter

We are about to take our L6th to Paris this weekend for a three day trip that we've designed ourselves. PM me for more details if you want them.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If you are thinking of taking a group out of UK on such a visit, you could consider places associated with Martin Luther - I did a trip like this a few years ago:

http://www.culturetrails.co.uk/history-trails/religious-history/the-protestant-reformation.htm

5. Hiya,
    we do the same course and have run a residential abroad for the last 7 years. We have been to New York, Istanbul, Budapest and are about to run another one next year. W

6. Hiya,
    we do the same course and have run a residential abroad for the last 7 years. We have been to New York, Istanbul, Budapest and are about to run another one next year. We only go every other year due to cost implications but wherever there is interest of an ethical or religious nature I think you can justify many places.
    Wherever you go the students will get loads out of it
    Good luck![​IMG]

7. Hi Liza,

Thanks for your reply. Could I ask which tour company you use, and the nature of your visit?

:)

8. Our students go to Kintbury a Christian retreat centre. We have always enjoyed it.

9. Bex, what do they do on the retreat?