1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential Trips

Discussion in 'School trips' started by jago123, Sep 14, 2018.

1. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

For the last couple of years, we have not held any residential trips due to budget restraints. I have had a meeting with the CoG and they have agreed that we can look at the possibility of organising a
    residential in July 2019 for Years 7, 8 , 9.
    By this time, Year 11 and Year 13 will have left which will free up teaching colleagues to attend.
    This will be a PGL trip and we are looking at the possibility of going abroad (Spain or France), I have had a few quotes already and will be having a meeting with the School Business Manager next week along with the Pastoral Manager for KS3 and hope to have this confirmed as soon as possible, but my concern is, I have never co-ordinated a trip abroad before with school- only in the U.K and I’m concerned about the logistics of this along with cost and whether 10 months is enough notice for a residential trip- What experiences do you have of an abroad PGL trip and can you recommend any places?
    The plan will be for 60 pupils to attend (max) along with 6 colleagues (two being SLT)

Thanks

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Your school should have an Educational Visits Coordinator (EVC) they will have had training on running trips. Find out who this is and get him/her to walk you through the procedure. Your LEA or MAT should have a written policy on trips. If you don't have an EVC (which is dodgy) then volunteer to be one and get on a course.
    I was an EVC and my LEA provided excellent training plus checklists for trips that you followed to make sure everything was done correctly.
    I may still have a copy. pm me and if I can find it I will email it to you.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I would add - why must it be PGL?

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I used PGL once for a French trip. They were OK. Prices were much the same as other companies. I didn't actually go on the trip but the staff that did enjoyed themselves and said the facilities and activities were good. However when it was their turn to plan the following year they went back to the company they had used for the last few years despite them being more expensive, being miles from anywhere and entailing a 4 hour drive once through the tunnel (PGL were 30 minutes from Calais).

5. Lindseyhb

Lindseyhb New commenter

Morning,

I am looking to take a small group of students to London for 2 days over February half term. We are based in Chester but I intend to drive down in the mini bus. Could anyone recommend accommodation in the city with parking for a mini bus? I don't mind having a go and seeing if I would be able to build the trip myself. However alternatively if anyone can recommend a reputable tour operator I can also look into this. Thanking you in advance.

6. Geoff Thomas

Two days to London, with you driving the minibus and then leading the group?

At best you will return exhausted. There have been worse outcomes to such scenarios.

Why not use the excellent group fares from Virgin West Coast and travel by train, using public transport in the city?

If you do think of using a tour operator, you could do worse than e-mail UK@culturetrails.co.uk

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Try the YHA. Group membership is v good value.
    On the driving front, look at driver's hours regulations and also consider that you'll need a second driver. Agree that train has huge advantages!

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Check the minibus doesn't need the congestion charge. Plus finding parking spaces for a vehicle that size could be problematic (and expensive).

9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

blazer likes this.
  10. walderton

walderton New commenter

11. Geoff Thomas

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

He is the sole director of Eagle Expeditions. Which has been in business for 4 months apparently.

13. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

WE got free school travel for myself and 6 kids when I created a reward trip to London for the kids with best 'Mock" GCSE grades..... that was ally welcome... thank you Virgin !!

Geoff Thomas likes this.