1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential trips in school holidays.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Papaya, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Would you expect some sort of extra compensation for this - time off in lieu or extra payment?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Assuming you are in a state school, I would simply expect that only volunteers go on such a trip. If you don't want to go...fine. And, of course, you can always ask...

3. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Rare for extra payment. Some HTs are kind enough to give a half day for packing/sleeping, but not often and not many. No, I wouldn't expect anything, perhaps an incentive of a little time if I'd been gently forced into it (eg had to fill in at the ast moment), but I've never had or expected anything if I've organised it. I've also given extra time to parents' evenings for residential trips.

4. coppull

coppull New commenter

Remember your pay is frozen for two years and you may have to pay extra contributions towards your pension next year.
    Suggest you concentrate on what your paid for teaching ,prepaing marking and reporting to parents and working sixty hours a week in school time.
    All these volunteers from the Big Society can take the children on holiday.[​IMG]

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The bottom line is that indeed there should be payment or time in lieu off, and as long as folk continue to undertake such events voluntarily there will never be so.

6. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

The bottom line is.... is seems too many teachers do their job for the money, not for the wealth of opportunity and experience they can give to their pupils and because they love the job.
    As has been said, if the trip is in your own time, you have the choice not to go - so don't.
    We don't get paid for extra-curricular clubs, trips and visits outside our directed time - you should do them a) because you want to. b) because the children benefit from them and c) because you get a damn good salary and 13 weeks holiday a year - where most people are struggling financially and have less than half your holiday time.
    If you're not there for the pupils, why are you in teaching?

7. noone i know has ever been paid for taking trips in school holidays nor have their received time off in lieu.

8. LauraHester

LauraHester New commenter

Together with two other teachers i am taking a group of students to africa for 4 weeks this summer - 3 of which are in the holiday. Not only i am paying about £3000 to go but am also working right up until the day we actually leave. I never once thought about asking for extra payment or even time in lieu as i wanted to do this, i volunteered. If you are being told that you have to do this then you should get something in return, however as they cannot make you do anything during the holidays and it would therefore be your decision to do so i cannot see how you could expect something in return.

9. crezz1

crezz1 New commenter

I quite agree Laura! What an experience! It's teachers like you that pupils speak fondly of and hold in high esteem, because you 'make' their trip by being there, giving up your time, and taking care of them!
    These are the things pupils remember from their school days. Hope you have a great time!

10. Who exactly is this addressed to? Who has said they are not there for the pupils?
    Thanks for all the above advice from the various posters.

11. coppull

coppull New commenter

Yes and Crezz1 missed out we all receive Gold Plated Pensions.[​IMG]

12. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I do not feel that any implication that someone who does not chose to enter the minefield that can be planning trips is any less of a teacher than the person who does, is appropriate.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2003/apr/01/schooltrips.primaryschoolteachingresources

The question 'why are you in teaching' is perhaps answered by the action of those in a classroom doing just that rather than spending hours on the paper trail that now makes excusions an exhaustive process with the gamble of litigation should anything go wrong attached, all undertaken voluntarily.
    Professional? Or total sucker?

13. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Goop point Daisy.
    I reminds me of the way some people still insist on refering to teaching as a 'vocation'. its a job, a profession, not a calling!
    The 'vocational' view is ofen used to excuse unreasonable expectations and demands.
    Residentials are great fun and exhausting, if they go well.
    If you want to go ... go!

14. I agree with the last two posts.
    (The post before last incorrectly attributed a post to me - I'd never say that!)

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

This is currently a problem in MFL: trips to the country where the language is spoken are a curriculum activity, but rarely cover etc means all trip budget have to include cover costs, so a residential of 3 days (Spain) for 3 members of staff (30 students) is prohibitively expensive for the parents, and SLT will not pay extra for staff to undertak ethem during the holidays.
    Hence we will be doing no more trips in my MFL dept.