1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Residential homes - again

Discussion in 'Personal' started by florapost, Jun 1, 2011.

1. have spent today taking dad back to home to measure up his room for furniture (wonderfully roomy - as his blindness means he wants neither writing desk nor bookcases [​IMG] )
    he's much more coming to terms with it, and has twigged that actually moving near most of his offspring means he'll see a lot more of us, and get taken out wherever he wants - but i know that he really wants to come and live with one of us,, and i am so grateful his increasing frailty makes this impractical
    anyway, this set me off thinking - i looked at diana athill's articles and have concludeed, i f i am left alone and frail, and with money, i would far rather go into a decent residential home than live with one of my kids - not out of kindnes to them, but because the residual independance involved is what i would prefer
    my mum - whom any one of us would gladly have living with us - has said the same
    so - are the old folk who want to stay independant the ones we would be happy to have living with us?
    how do you feel about your old ages?

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I think it used to be quite common for 'retired gentlefolk' of limited means to live in small hotels. Like the two old ladies in Fawlty Towers'.

3. The more I think about it, the more I think she's a bloody genius.
    No bills, no washing, cooking, cleaning.
    Go where you want when you want.
    As long as you can get about and still have your faculties, oh that might count me out, then it would cost much less care homes.

4. Depends on ones health!
    My elderly, frail mum is currently trying to live independently, but has severe, restricted mobilty due to osteoarthritus and is recovering from a hip replacement due to a fall. She has all the aids in place to help her to live independently, but they don't prevent her from falling, which she did last night, thankfully she was unhurt.
    She cannot live with me or my brother as our houses are totally unsuitable (bathroom upstairs, other steps etc), plus we work full time.
    We visit daily, phone regulary and do what we can, but its not enough...don't know where we go from here, like I said, how and where you live in your old age depends totally on your health.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

That is really inventive thinking. I like the idea of it, not sure how it might pan out in practice though. Food for thought.