1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Researching International Schools in Asia - What to accept?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Katronic, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I am currently applying for a new position in SE Asia. Starting to recieve interviews for schools in Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. (primary)
    I trained in Scotland, then taught for a year, before coming to Kuwait this year and was very dissapointed to discover upon arrival the job was not as described. Having being told I was a classroom teacher then finding out the school operates rotational teaching, amongst many other things. Thinking I had researched the school well, I am keen not to make the same mistake.
    Does anyone have any advice how to check out prospective employers in SE Asia? Is there any specific accreditation I should be looking for/ forums I can check?
    As a newcomer to the international market any advice would be grealy recieved.
    Cheers!
    Katy

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

As the Kuwaiti school hired a teacher with just one year's experience it clearly puts it amongst the lower end of schools. Most decent expect 3 years UK experience.
    I fear you may have not helped your career by this first choice of international school and you should consider returning to the UK for more experience. I'm looking for primary teachers at the moment in for Asia and I don't think I'd consider someone with two year's experience when it was one year UK and one year Kuwait. I prefer three years UK expereince, but would consider an exceptional candiate with just two.
    Having said that, there are many schools in Asia that would look at you. For a short term thing you could do worse than the lower end of Malaysia, such as the Welsh resort town school. Salary will be low, but the country is very pleasant. Likewise, there's many 3rd/4th tier schools in Thailand that are worth considering for the experience.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Sorry, got distracted..
    I prefer three years UK experience, but would consider an exceptional candiate with just two years in a single UK school.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

International Schools Review. School reviews require a membership ($30 per year, or thereabouts) but the forum is free and you can ask about schools in certain areas and fellow teachers can talk about schools by name.