1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Researching family trees - a long post!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Marshall

Marshall Established commenter

Just had a shock. Got an email from ancestry.com about researching family trees and seeing as I'm bored I thought I'd give it a free trial. I put in my mums name, date of birth and death and there she was - in someone else's family tree! It was her wedding picture - the one I have on display now. Tried to rinmg Big Bruv but he's out and I got upset. OH and me talked it through and whilst I have no further info yet I think it's someone who is trying to trace my dad's family. Dad was illigitemate (? sorry can't spell this late on New Tears Eve!) and we knew he was brough up by his uncle - it wasn't talked about - I only found out when I was 18. His mother remarried and I knew her well as grandma. It seems he had 3 or 4 brothers which no-one now can answer questions about.
    It has really made me think - what do we know about families? Mum died in 1994 at a fairly early age and dad in 2000 at 69 having had alzeihmers for 12 years. The questions I wish I had asked them - but those were the days when things were 'hushed up'.
    Suppose I'm feeling a bit sentimental - no children of my own (through choice and no regrets), 3 lovely step children in their 30s (I've known all of them since they were 5), 5 step grandchildren, hubby 15 years older than I am and his health is poor and it's the New Year...
    The comic relief programme tonight brought me to tears.
    Onwards and Upwards!
    Happy New Year everyone.
    [​IMG]

2. Hi, a very good friend of mine researched my family tree for me through Ancestry.com and although she is an expert at it, she made errors with names and ages because Ansestry.com, although very good, can sometimes, come up with names and dates that are only possible matches, this could well be the case with someone elses research and your mum became a 'error match'...Don't worry about it too much.
    Hope you have a Happy new year xx

3. Marshall

Thanks for that. In a way I don't think I am worried and the more I think about the more I think that it is someone from Dad's side who is trying to trace his tree (his brothers).
    I know there are mistakes because one of people mentioned in the tree is not correct.
    It's starting to become an exciting project!
    X

4. Happy New Year.

This time of year brings about a lot of reflection.

5. I loved what i discovered, workhouse immates, poverty, a young girl imprisoned for 'concealment of illigitimate birth' (very sad)..Ancestory.com has some fasinating info online,(prison records) it got me hooked, even bought me into contact with long lost rels researching the same person has me..complete strangers ended up emaling me some very old pics (dating back to late 18th century) of rels i never knew i had..you will find ppl are very willing to share what they have found, if they are of interest to you.

6. Marshall

Sideshow - I agree with you - lots of reflection...

7. Marshall

Thanks daffo - I'm excited by it!

8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

If its on ancestory you can often contact the tree maker...NO not God! lol
    Usually if you search on the tree it tells you who is dong the research.
    I wish mine was interesting.seems we come from a long line of welsh chippies!( the none fish and chip kind! )

9. Marshall

OH is going to do his - his family is welsh and seems even more complicated than mine!

10. Marshall

Just a thought - does it mean I'm getting old because I want to do this?

11. oldsomeman

welsh research is really a pain int the rear........once you get back you either need welsh or employ a researcher past 1841....even the church records are in welsh.
    Oh and if you have a common welsh surname like mine....best of luck
    being old has nothing to do with it...it plain morbid curiousity.......and youwither get sucked ina want to do more..or you
    get fed up and leave it mid stream

12. Marshall

Don't know any surnames yet but all the forenames are welsh - glyn, gyllian so I might be doomed from the start!!!

13. My dad was welsh..nightmare..everyhere begins with 'LL' and everyones name is either, Griffiths, Jones or Davies..good luck..lol
    I researched my mums maiden name cos its rare 'Freakley' (don't laugh) and luckly, they all came from the same village, the old church yard is full of Freakleys, what fun i had, photogaphing headstones and tieing them all together...
    Start with what you know, ask as many ppl as you can, then send off for certificates which will take you back a step further, remember, there was a lot of illiterate ppl around back then and some certificates are simply marked with just an x

14. oldsomeman

you research surenames dear.not forenames...and even they might be wrong as its not unusual for clearks and vicars to write names down wrongly
    If you join ancestory do it for a month and make sure you cancel your credit card thng you have to do........otherwise they will sting you the 100 plus pounds.
    its an activity best done in the day and can become a good dective story.remember to save your work in the shoe box and print off all documents you find successful or useful.........you tend to remember when its to late.
    Start with the census for 1910 if you know an ancestor who was alive then such as a grandparent

15. Marshall

Not sure I will get very far with mine - but am going to try!
    I remember my grandad telling me he worked in the mills (in West Yorkshire) and wore clogs to work and did his courting on the street corner. I am 50 and he was 85 when he died and I really need to log all this so it doesn't get lost. So much is lost unless we record it. Even today's 'stuff' - I have been thinking about my time line and I struggle to put dates to events - next job!!

16. oldsomeman

daffidil.....appropriate for a welsh name researcher lol

17. Olds, thats why i picked it..lol [​IMG]

18. oldsomeman

hahahah.......remeinds me of a scene from a carry one film in which they placed a daffodil in a persons posterier......not you obvioulsy
    If its any joy i happen to love daffodils! x

19. Marshall..last year, when my old mum was really poorly, i sat and asked her loads of stuff about her childhood and growing up..i ended up writing a small book about her, she loved it and is one of her (and mine) prize possesions. Funnily enough, i was only reading it again, today.
    .You are right, its important to write stuff down, to pass on, once its gone, its gone.

20. Marshall

Daffodival - that's exactly what I regret not doing. I can understand why it is a prized possession - I am sure you treasure it as would I if I had had the forethought to do it 18 years ago, Youth is wasted on the young - in my case.