1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Researchers found humans suppress the analytical areas of their brain in order to believe in god

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 25, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

In an analysis of eight experiments, published in the journal PLOS ONE, researchers also found people with faith were more empathetic than those without.

Chicken and egg.

• Maybe more empathetic people are more likely to 'get' religion.
    • Maybe people want the social support so they take the religion in order to associate with naturally empathetic individuals.
    Swings and roundabouts

wanet likes this.
  3. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

In the old days there would have been a stampede to this thread!

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

"We find that religious belief is robustly positively associated with moral concern (4 measures), and that at least part of the negative association between belief and analytic thinking (2 measures) can be explained by a negative correlation between moral concern and analytic thinking."

From the abstract

5. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

"Religious non-believers reported higher levels of psychopathic traits, namely Self-Centered Impulsivity and Coldheartedness."

Who'd a thunk it?

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

You, presumably, because you are suppressing your critical & analytical thinking.

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

That must explain ISIS, and all the b****** priests that used to beat the bejesus outa me at school (and the others that did worse).

Scintillant likes this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Why?
    It's in the report
    and is quoted from one of the source research documents (Lilienfeld SO, Latzman RD, Watts AL, Smith SF, Dutton K. Correlates of psychopathic personality traits in everyday life: Results from a large community survey. Frontiers in psychology. 2014;5. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.00740)

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Doesn't count, wrong sort of religion.

kibosh likes this.
  10. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Rubbish. Its about "faith", as required by mumbo-jumbo spinners of all flavours.

11. Mangleworzle

I'm wasted here sometimes.

coffeekid, kibosh and lanokia like this.
  12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Someone I know very well was told from the pulpit not to read the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. So, she wouldn't. So I said "If your faith in God is so strong, it isn't going to be shaken by a Dan Brown book." She wouldn't risk it.
    Dear God!

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

When the Da Vinci code movie came out the headteacher of the faith school I worked in did an assembly refuting the film and telling the pupils not to watch it.

A lot of them promptly wanted to watch it.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

When 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' was published, the head teacher found me reading a copy in the staff room at lunch time and told me he was banning it from the school premises.

I just put the dust cover from another book around it and carried on.

lanokia and grumpydogwoman like this.
  15. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I wonder if this suppression of the brains analytical areas, explains Nicky Morgans blind belief as she worships her Academy God?

pig-racing.jpg

Off they go for the state asset give away. Then the academy SLT pay race...

16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

17. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I supposed as much from your choice of avatar.

kibosh likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

:) They're slow tonight - Drink!

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If it makes them happy and they don't do any harm, let them get on with it.

I can't see why anyone would choose one of the 4000 plus religions over the others as the right one - other than parental and cultural influences, but meh, people are free to believe whatever makes them happy

20. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Maybe it's a bit like choosing a team - football or whatever - to support. It meets a need.

Noja likes this.