1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research Project: Mixed-ability Grouping vs. Ability Grouping

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Apr 24, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

But there is also evidence to suggest the exact opposite. The argument is as old as the hills and there is evidence and absolute proof on both sides.

1) I seat children by ability in English and Maths for most of these lessons, but they generally choose their seating in other subjects. Sometimes they choose in English and Maths and sometimes I group them as mixed groups.

2) Why?
    Because it is easier to target the teaching and guided work that way. I could hardly work with my most able children as a group if they were scattered about the room could I?

If I set differentiated tasks for the children, it is easier for them to discuss the work if they are sat with children doing the same work as them.

It is easier for management of work/targets/etc. I can say 'this table do this, that table do that' or 'I'll expect this from this table' if they are grouped by ability. Otherwise I'd have to call out names each and every time.
    4) Errrrr none that have convinced me. I let them choose seats for lessons where differentiation is less marked because I like them to have that choice. Social reasons only. Not sure letting them choose all day every day would actually be a good idea.

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I think minnieminx and I are clones!
    In maths I have children from low level 2 to level 6, although we do work in mixed ability groups sometimes generally we work on ability tables simply for ease and efficiency, my level 6's are so far ahead of my level 2's that they may as well be talking a different language sometimes[​IMG]
    Similar level differences in English, although as some of the work is oral/visual etc there are more opportunities for mixed ability working, and I think it is beneficial for the lower ability children to "feed off" the HA
    Otherwise the children tend to choose where they sit