1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research Project: Involving parents in secondary education

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sleekline27, Jan 23, 2018.

1. sleekline27

sleekline27 New commenter

I am a final year BA Education student at Nottingham Trent University, soon to start my MA Education with the hope of working in the secondary education sector after final graduation.

As such, I am conducting a research project on the topic of parental involvement in Secondary Education; considering whether differing perceptions and expectations of parental involvement hinders the formation of parent-teacher relationships, by influencing the ways they identify with their role and thus the ways they engage with one another.

Specifically:

'The differing perceptions of parental involvement: to what extent do they act as barriers towards establishing and maintaining effective parent-teacher relationships in secondary education?'
    1. Do parents and teachers consider parental involvement to be important within secondary education?
    2. Does the perception of what constitutes as effective parental involvement differ between parents and teachers?
    3. How do parents currently get involved in their child’s education, and to what extent do they feel schools support them in this?
    4. What involvement opportunities do schools currently promote to parents, and to what extent do they feel parents engage with them?

I am looking for volunteers to participate in my study, by either taking part in a short discussion through whatever means convenient for you, or completing a simple questionnaire. If you would like to participate or have any questions don't hesitate to get in touch.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give - it's greatly appreciated!
    Sophie

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I have written about this - casestudy .I can PM you with the key issues if it would help

3. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

This is very interesting and incredibly broad. What might constitute "effective parental involvement" will be incredibly different depending on background culture/upbringing/affluence.

From experience, the differences between the expectations of working class inner city parents from affluent Chinese parents are vast and related to many different factors. So too would be the differences between teachers working in independant/state schools. Would be difficult to draw valid conclusions without having a very broad data set or refining the study to focus on certain groups/conduct a single school case study.

sleekline27 likes this.
  4. sleekline27

Thanks for your reply!

I originally wanted to conduct a case study on an inner city state school, but I've struggled to find anyone willing to take me on - which is why I edited my question and reached out further for participants. I've also contacted multiple organisations who work to improve parent-teacher relationships such as the PTA UK, hoping that they can either help me find participants, or act as a third party to give a professional insight into what they observe in practice themselves etc., using it in a triangulation to increase the validity of my results.

But now I'm not so sure, would you suggest I alter the question back to inner city state schools and keep trying to find one school as a case study approach?

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You should have a look at the Scottish system - How Good Is Our School 5 measures schools on parental engagement in a number of areas.

sleekline27 likes this.
  6. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I suppose it depends on whether this is your BA dissertation or Masters, although a case study would be acceptable for both I think. I am not in higher education myself, but from when I did my masters, the questions I would be thinking about your dissertation would be:

1: How have you found "differing perceptions of parental involvement". This is broad, have they looked at all types of secondary parents and all types of secondary teachers.
    2: What are effective parent-teacher relationships? how are you going to define that? why is it important? Is "effective" the same across and between schools? cultures? areas?
    3: You have also mentioned establishing and maintaining relationships. What about other factors, other than perception, that involve this (school policies and initiatives to enhance relationships)

These questions would be very hard to answer without a big data set so I think a case study would be good or refining your question to something small. For example, when I did my masters I wanted to look at cross-cultural management and its effect on performance. My tutor advised me to narrow this down to age range, location, and specific cultural circumstances. At my uni we had to hand in a proposal before we started our project, it may be worth talking to your tutor about ideas/possible methodologies before starting. They will give the best advice as they will be the ones marking it!

7. sleekline27

Yes please? It would be good to see whether the issues that you found are similar to the ones I'm expecting to find

8. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

OK - I shall PM you later. Mine was an inner State - top 1% social deprivation and mostly focused on SEND students and the engagement of their parents ( note not involvement which can mean something entirely different ) but the action planning which came from this focus impacted on the whole school development plan

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. ParentA

ParentA New commenter

I would love to contribute - I've just added a post on precisely this subject (it's currently being moderated) but would love to feed in and also find out what you conclude at the end of your project. Thanks