1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research Project - Entry Level English Certificate

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by HellenBridget, Dec 29, 2011.

1. I am in my BA honours year at University. I am conducting research on the effects (social inclusion, cultural awareness and improving self esteem, or not) of exposure to GCSE material as the reading for pleasure and media components of the English Certificate.

For example, in one mainstream secondary school, a small group of students with a combination of EAL, BESD and ASD (some linked), researched the historical context of, and watched the video for 'Of Mice and Men'. They had not read the book but developed understanding of context and were able to use this to analyse the plot and characters. In previous years this same school had used alternative, more accessible texts, which were read.

Which option is best?

Incidentally, ALL students reported that learning about the same material as their peers gave then confidence, made them feel included (the 'same') and encouraged them to discover and analyse other GSCE style material for example, the work of Shakespeare.

Notwithstanding the importance of reading and development of vocabulary, how important is it for students to share literary experiences, even if it is the film version?

Brief research amongst fellow students and contacts within schools similar to the example stated (similar location, sometimes larger FSM, SEN, EAL) reveals that other schools do not offer the option of Entry Level English Certificate. All students sit GCSE or nothing at all.

I welcome any comments or shared experiences which will contribute to my research.

Thank you.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

<font size="2">Not sure if I can help you but it may be of passing interest. </font><font size="2">I teach English ELC in a special school for pupils with severe and profound learning difficulties. I have found similar positive self esteem results with my more able pupils. We study Shakespeare and as many of the standard GCSE texts as we can mainly through film, with some simplified text and some original text which I read to the pupils to supplement the film or compare and contrast. Doing texts similar to their age related peers or ones that their siblings did at the same age is a real motivator and seems to support peer relationships outside of the school (if only to join in with "me mates" moaning about having to do them!)</font>

3. Thank you! I was struggling to find anyone else who teaches ELC!

4. For data collection purposes, would it be possible to know which LA your school is in?

Thank you.

5. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

you have mail

6. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

I teach entry level english in a special school. We use GCSE text such as Shakespeare and last year I taught The Ancient Mariner. We also have Of men and mice on our curriculum and Dickens.

7. nearly_there

nearly_there New commenter

Sorry it posted before I was ready!
    We use film adaptations of the texts to get an overview of the story then read short sections as a group. My class are very "streetwise" and they would not engage with a text they thought too babyish. Therefore I think it is the best approach to use an age appropriate text but differentiate the tasks to meet the needs of the students.