1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research participants required - COVID-19 and schools

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by earthachaloner, Jul 26, 2020.

1. earthachaloner

earthachaloner New commenter

Dear Colleagues,

I hope this message finds you well.

I have been reading Tes for nine years, but am a newbie in terms of posting, so hope that I have done this correctly!

I am writing to ask for your help with my Masters research project. I am keen to hear from colleagues across the country who have been working in schools, providing care for vulnerable children and children of essential workers.

My research is about whether the COVID-19 related expectations of teachers were realistic, acceptable and reasonable, and whether and how this has impacted upon how teachers now feel about their work/jobs.

Participation is confidential and consists of a 30-45 minute interview via Microsoft Teams. (The length of the interview will depend on how much participants have to say in response to my 5 questions.) Please send me a private message if you are interested and would like further details.
    I need to complete the interviews within the next two weeks, if possible.

I am based in a south London school so it would be helpful to hear from colleagues working in other parts of London, outside of London, and from some male teachers, who are currently under-represented in my group of participants. However, everyone's contribution is welcome and will be gratefully received.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read my message.

Stay safe and well,

Eartha

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If you PM me the questions, or post them here, I will give you a written answer

3. earthachaloner

earthachaloner New commenter

Morning!
    Thanks very much for taking the time to respond.
    I will need to check this with my supervisor; I'm uncertain whether I can use a different method of data collection from the one that has been approved by the ethics committee.
    I will come back to you once I have received his response.
    Thanks very much,
    Eartha

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Reasonable is probably the most subjective word in all of education.
    What I think is acceptable and reasonable, another chokes on their coffee and calls the union.
    What another thinks is acceptable and reasonable, has me flat out refusing to do.

Research via 'feelings' is always a little bit debatable.
    People always talk more about the things they 'feel' are unreasonable or unacceptable.

5. install

install Star commenter

I am not at liberty to relate my thoughts on this. Except to say the problem isn’t schools - it is the UK Gvt who really should be doing Teacher Assessments for another year rather than piling on supposed ‘catch up’ programmes for the lost learning.

Our present Yr10s and Yr12s will have lost far more learning time than the students that are awaiting their grades. For me, schools have been seemingly been handcuffed to a knee jerk policy whereby it seems they get the most important information after the public get it.

The UK Gvt also underestimated the students from deprived areas who have no computers or full internet access to allow other forms of learning. It also underestimated the potential home issues eg big families, poor accommodation, none English speaking families, on going domestic issues and more. Indeed some might even say that many families were grateful for their health during a pandemic and put learning on the back burner.

Sorry I cannot of more help.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020