1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research on computing education

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jlisaw8, Mar 18, 2020.

1. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

Do you engage with research to support your teaching? What are the barriers? What are the benefits?

At Queen Mary University of London, we are conducting research on research!

We are currently focusing on access to research about teaching computing in school.

We would like to find out about your engagement with computing education research - to help us improve the teaching and learning of computing.

Please help us by completing our survey

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ResearchPlacementsOutreach

Many thanks
    Jane Waite

Teaching Fellow, Research Student, IOC & Communicating and Teaching Computing
    School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
    Faculty of Science and Engineering
    Queen Mary University of London

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I do not engage with research to support my teaching. I am too busy teaching.

jlisaw8 likes this.
  3. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

In resources that you use, do you think these are informed by research? Or the CPD that you might attend?

4. moscowbore

My resources are largely informed by my 20 years as a teacher. I know how to adapt my teaching materials to suit the classes in front of me. I have never taught the same course twice the same way. I change my approach to each class using my experience.

I am not a fan of cpd as it is usually just a box for management to tick. Very specific training on the courses I teach are very useful because I then know how to assess like an examiner.

Different approaches to what I do when I am standing in front of a class come and go. I take bits which work for me and I use them. 90% of the stuff purveyed by "consultants" is useless mostly because the consultants could not teach a dog to bark.

Research into any topic related to education is just that, research. If the research comes up with anything useful, I will happily read it and judge if it is of use to me.

I once took part in a bit of research into the use of team work in computer science classes. That was useful in that it , in a very small and statistically insignificant way, proved what I already knew. Students learn computer programming better when they work as a team on a project.

Normally I do not contribute to posts like these but my connection to MS Teams has crashed.

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  5. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

Thank you for the time you have spent on the thread. We would very much like to capture your views on computer science education research. It's important for us to have as many voices as possible reflected. We would be indebted if you would take part - if you have time. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ResearchPlacementsOutreach

6. moscowbore

I took the survey.

I did not understand what question 6 was asking
    Question 14 made no sense.

7. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

Many thanks will review.

8. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

Question 14
    Per year, approximately, how many days of professional development do you usually have

across all subjects, you teach?

on computing?

on engaging with research?

Options to answer are none, half a day, 1 day etc.

Was the issue here with across all subjects, or on engaging with research?

9. moscowbore

Most teachers get professional development in the form of in-house presentations on various things like engagement, pacing and mostly on assessment. It is rare these days to be sent on a specific course which is relevant to your specific subject and courses, you know, the courses which are of most use.

So asking how many days of pd is not a simple question.

Research is something which most teachers simply do not have time to participate in. Most research projects I come across are just somebody doing something to achieve a masters in something to hasten their exit from the classroom.

I would be interested in seeing any research which investigates the whole flightpath thing.

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  10. jlisaw8

jlisaw8 New commenter

In England, we have the National Centre for Computing Education (NCCE), funded by the DfE. £87 million pounds is being invested in computer science teaching. A large proportion of this is on teacher CPD, informed by research and including research elements. There are other similar initiatives in some other countries (perhaps on different scales/focuses)

The research we are doing (the survey) is to see what reach these initiatives are having on teachers.

When you say flightpath what do you mean?
    Do you mean progression? There are the NCCE learning trajectories.https://teachcomputing.org/resources These are free to download, but have not been completed yet.

There is research on approaches for teaching computing in school.

For example, PRIMM (a research programme investigating teaching programming in secondary schools) has been shared through it being included in face to face and online CPD from the NCCE as well as in publications such as Hello World https://helloworld.raspberrypi.org/issues/4/pdf (page 64) We discussed PRIMM research in the #CSEdResearchBookClub which is an online twitter bookclub for Computing educators - we meet 8pm GMT the 1st Thursday of each month.

Similarly, Semantic Waves (a theory how to teach conceptual development) and computer science concept teaching has been shared through a pedagogy quick read and in Hello World, and through our teacher CPD at Queen Mary University of London. https://teachinglondoncomputing.org/2019/06/29/semantic-waves/
    https://blog.teachcomputing.org/quick-read-6-semantic-waves/

We have ideas on how to engage with research here https://www.computingatschool.org.uk/custom_pages/142-wheretofindresearch

Is any of this of interest? Or use?

11. moscowbore

I am interested to read any research on the use of learning trajectories because I am speechless when I hear people defend this total nonsense.

Semantic waves. So it seems to say that you should not use too much jargon. Well that was useful research. How much of the 87M was spent on that? I make a conscious decision to use language which is appropriate for the students in front of me and that can range from Y13 students who are attempting to write their own blackjack game in java including a facility to calculate the probability that the next card will make them bust to y10 students who struggle to carry out a simple addition. My teaching experience gives me the teaching strategies which I implement when necessary.

A lot of research switches me off by using statements like "The secret to providing good learning experiences is to make your explanations and learning activities follow a semantic wave structure". I have never heard of semantic wave structures until 30 minutes ago. I would humbly submit that this is not true.

Fundamentally I personally see most research as not being relevant or credible.

I created an account. I cannot find a search facility. That would be useful.

border_walker likes this.