1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research into best colour markers to use on a whiteboard.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by richardspencer1186, Jan 22, 2020.

1. richardspencer1186

richardspencer1186 New commenter

Hi,

I’m in my second year of teaching and currently on supply.

Working in a school recently, a TA from another class burst into the class whilst I was teaching to solely tell me - in front of the kids - that I was using the wrong colour whiteboard pen. She then told me, still in front of the class I was covering, that the kids couldn’t possibly see my dark green pen and thrust a black pen into my hand, even though I had almost completed my modelling and was about to set the class off working independently. The kids made great progress within this lesson and seemed to grasp the concept pretty easily.

Therefore I was wondering, is there any research into this I’m not aware of? Is black the only colour I should ever use on a whiteboard?

Thanks in advance

2. TheBigPickle

TheBigPickle New commenter

Could calm and keep using that dark green pen. Over and out. ;)

Pomza, nomad, Jesmond12 and 1 other person like this.
  3. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

In Mfl I sometimes recommend colours. Blue for masc red for feminine or in German blue poster prepositions taking dative etc. There is some research about dyslexia etc. However I find green difficult to see. On supply and writing a quick note on the board ...just use the pen available. If they're that fussy ask your agency for another school.

4. celago22

celago22 Established commenter

I mainly use black but that's because the school seems to only really have black pens. If I'm teaching something that has various stages, I like to colour code. Say I'm teaching the grid method I'll colour code each stage next to steps for success so step 1 on the SC might be blue, step 1 on the calculation will be blue, or in spag I might write verbs in green, adjectives in orange, nouns in purple etc.
    The main thing is that your writing is legible.

5. fly

fly New commenter

Never yellow - most useless pen ever made.

BetterNow, Pomza, nomad and 2 others like this.
  6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Blue is clearest. Avoid green except for solid colour in diagrams. I use black and red too

7. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

The purple berol ones are good. They write quite smoothly and look bold on the board. Yellow and orange scratchy, horrid and difficult to read!!

8. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I have given this far too much time and thought over the years, but:

Green and red can be hard for dyslexic/short sighted people so if a child ever complains, get both of these things tested.

Pink and light blue seem ok but it depends the position/brightness of your lights compared to your board - if there's glare, these are also no good.

Orange and yellow are pretty useless but brown, black, purple, navy and dark green are fine.

nomad likes this.
  9. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

For some reason, purple seems to be the colour where most people can actually read my handwriting o_O. Normally gets some compliments too. Seems to be my go to colour now!

10. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

but all of this can depend on how much ink is left in your pen...