1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research: How is teacher training in RE changing?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by hugowhately, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Hi all - I am involved in a research project looking at the government's changes to selection/recruitment of RE teachers and how it affects the subject. Basically the changes will favour new teachers being based in schools rather than universities: the PGCE merits hardly a mention in the policy documents. I suspect that RE - ever statutory yet often marginalised - is vulnerable.

Do you have any views on these changes? Is you school a teaching school, or invovled in Schools Direct? How are RE teachers faring in the changing policy climate?

Please get back to me with ideas, or let me know if you would like to be more invovled.

Many thanks

Hugo Whately

2. pete14

pete14 New commenter

I was not aware that the govt were changing the selection / recruitment of RE teachers. Could you let me know a little more about this so I can possibly give my views. Presumably it applies to all subjects.

Looking at your post again, your reference to PGCE makes me wonder whether you mean selection of those wanting to train to teach RE. Although maybe there is a change of emphasis regarding a preferred route for training, and numbers are being reduced, I don't think this will affect selection apart from the fact that fewer places means fewer trainee's will be recruited.