1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research For New 'Music' Lesson Product

Discussion in 'Music' started by tomclarke89, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tom Clarke and I'm a Music Studies graduate from Liverpool John Moores University (I performed the 'silly hat' ritual last summer). You're may be curious as to what my degree entailed, but without wanting to describe the depth of each module, this course offered a selection of practical and theoretical teachings in the field of musicology. A common joke was that, because of the sheer breadth of the theory and state of the music industry today, you'll leave University despising what goes on behind the scenes!

Rather than entering the popular music business however, I decided to work against the grain and start up my own company. The drive behind this was simple; that the only way I could ever be happy with myself was if I was helping others to not just appreciate music, but to help them discover that although all music instruments have vastly different attributes in their performance requirements, they are all equal in their potential to catalyse creative practice. So why can't school children have the same equal opportunities to learn?

The common perception of a 'light bulb' moment is obviously mislead, but after having a heart-to-heart with my old college teacher (who taught me Graphic Art), she told me that one day, everything will come together. I can't think of a truer statement that I've had the pleasure of hearing, and without a doubt, it applied to confusion I felt upon graduation - that although I was qualified in a variety of creative degrees, I was unsure if they could all work in harmony.

As it turned out, I did eventually dream up that 'one idea' that would eventually spiral into something far more complex, yet in its execution, was only becoming more straightforward. That 'idea' is an all-in-one solution for primary school teachers and their pupils in Music lessons. Regrettably, I can't go into too much detail about the product features for confidentiality reasons (and patenting issues), but what I can tell you is that this is a very exciting project that is backed by own hard work and research over the past one and a half years.

The reason I post this thread is to complete my marketplace research which, if I could spare just 3 or 4 minutes of your time, is a short questionnaire designed for primary school teachers. I've had a good read of the 'Forum Guidelines/T&Cs', and I couldn't find any section that voiced against such a thread, however, I completely understand if a Moderator does not find this content to be acceptable.

This is just an honest project from people who love music and want to reform the ways in which teachers and pupils can plan, organise, execute and learn together. So with that, I'll say thank you very much for your time, and if you manage to fill in my questionnaire, an even bigger thank you!

All the best for a good new year,

Tom.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZZVHVZ3

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

When you say all in one - you're presumably not counting in any instruments?

3. Hello 'bod89',

When I refer to a "all-in-one" solution, I am referring to the product as a whole, which includes software, hardware, manuals, teaching guides, student booklets and more. The 'instrument' that the pupil would use is a device that can be interacted with in a variety of different ways, but ultimately, its output and input is dependant on the software that would be installed on a teachers laptop/PC. This leaves the teacher in control of the devices and how they operate across the six modes that are currently being planned.

I hope this helps!

Tom