1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research - first results.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eddiecarron, Jul 8, 2011.

1. I have just received the first results of my research project which is founded on the belief that since the acquistion of skills is, unlike the assimilation of concepts, independent of IQ, it is theoretically possible for all children to achieve Level 5 English. The first results have just come in from a Croydon Primary school with 30 Year 6 pupils.
    These are
    Predicted Actual

Level 2: 1 Level 2: 0
    Level 3: 14 Level 3: 2
    Level 4: 14 Level 4: 14
    Level 5: 1 Level 5: 14

The head is keen to adopt this as her literacy policy in Years 4, 5 and 6 and I anticipate that from now on, the majority of her pupils will achieve Level 5 English as a matter of routine.
    Eddie Carron

2. Another result in from a two-form Midlands primary with 60 Year 6 pupils. One child was predicted Level 2 in English and nine predicted Level 3. Only one child obtained lower than Level 4. The head is forwarding the detailed results later in the week.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

That's interesting, if statistically insignificant so far. But it depresses me that you only seem interested in passing tests. I couldn't give a fig what my child got in NCts as they they are terrible tests. I care whether he can read, write and do Maths. He can!Education isn't about tests. The test shouldn't be the goal, as you seem to think, but something a child can achieve in because he's been well educated.

4. Both of these results are highly significant. The approach is in no way related to the SATs tests or Levels' as anyone who has used it will testify - it focuses exclusively on the promotion and enhancement of literacy skills ie reading, writing, spelling, grammar and thinking.
    I have more results to come and I know that already, a significant group of pupils who would have graduated to secondary school in Sept as only semi-literate will instead graduate at literate hopefuls. These children, their parents and teachers are very happy. Only you seem to be depressed! Does that not tell you something!

5. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to how children are achieving better than predicted results. From the information you have provided it does seem that the children are not developing understanding which will help them to become independent learners, rather that they will know how to jump through hoops.

6. How on earth do you arrive at that conclusion if you know nothing about the approach. When a child reads text to a competent teacher, the teacher can tell the extent of the child's understanding of what s/he is reading aloud by the fluency, tonal variation and emphasis. The approach used is called Hot Reading.

7. carriecat10

Please go back and read to the end of my sentence so you understand what I was saying ...
    Your initial comments are vague to say the least. Are you expecting people to make judgments based purely on results you are providing?
    I have made a judgment based on the information you provided ... definitely not enough to say this 'research' is founded on anything worthwhile.
    That is not to say it isn't, just that you have been very cagey about what you share and that makes me suspicious.
    Clearly you have a lot invested in this 'research' ...

8. The approach was discussed widely on a different thread on this forum.
    I can explain the Hot Reading approach but I’m far from certain that I could ever enlighten you.
    Cold reading is reading an unfamiliar text aloud. Intelligent people don’t do cold reading. Intelligent people ALWAYS read a passage through first before reading it aloud to any audience. Very intelligent people do it differently – they always read an unfamiliar passage through twice at least before reading it to an audience. This is Hot Reading.
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Teachers invariably use the cold reading strategy with vulnerable readers but when they switch to the confidence-building Hot Reading approach, vulnerable readers read passages aloud with the same fluency, tonal variation and emphasis as a competent reader. The cumulative impact of this is to resolve ALL non-specific reading difficulties. </font> <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Hot Reading resources make this routinely possible. They comprise six programmes. At their core is a 300 title, graded and auditory supported library which enables vulnerable readers to read and texts without adult supervision or intervention. Users can subsequently read the texts prepared at the computer to an adult with full competence. These resources collectively confront all of the literacy skills ie reading, writing, spelling, grammar and thinking.</font> A group of eight widely dispersed schools have been using the approach over the past academic year. I supplied these school with instructions and resources and they provided me with their predicted outcomes in Sept 2010. I have had no other contact with them until they let me have their results. Two schools have now done so.

9. carriecat10

Perhaps this is where you should have put your post then. If people don't have all the information it is hard to judge isn't it?
    If you were a bit more upfront about your motives people might be more willing to listen.
    Also you are quite rude in your responses .. not the first time, I notice. What are you trying to prove?
    Oh ... and by the way, even with over 30 years experience, I know I am still learning.

10. I think the fact that I have received five personal messages asking for further information without expressing a single negative reaction suggests that there are readers on this thread. who are interested in these results. I only posted the results because I was specifically asked to. I will in future only be posting the results to those who specifically request them. I think many people who read these posts will begin understand why one child in five continues to leave school ever year, illiterate.