1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research- Childrens' friendships in Early Years

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by danniwelshy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hi There, I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone had some advice for me and can help. Im doing the PGCE Early Years course and am currently doing a 'Pupils Pespectives' short research assisgnment.

I have chosen to research the friendships in Reception. Im interested in the theory that if children already have friendships established ( eg were in same nursery or play group) that they find the transition more enjoyable and less traumatic when they join Reception. The Reception class I will be in has two Reception intakes-September and January.

There will be a new intake in January and some of the children already know each other and are friends. I am struggling to find any other articles or journals with this topic about friendships and not the transition from one class to another. They are mainly on the transition from Reception to Year One or Primary to Secondary. If anyone has come across anything they think may be useful or can help, I d be really grateful.Thankyou very much!!!!

2. Hi There, I am new to the forum and wondered if anyone had some advice for me and can help. Im doing the PGCE Early Years course and am currently doing a 'Pupils Pespectives' short research assisgnment.

I have chosen to research the friendships in Reception. Im interested in the theory that if children already have friendships established ( eg were in same nursery or play group) that they find the transition more enjoyable and less traumatic when they join Reception. The Reception class I will be in has two Reception intakes-September and January.

There will be a new intake in January and some of the children already know each other and are friends. I am struggling to find any other articles or journals with this topic about friendships and not the transition from one class to another. They are mainly on the transition from Reception to Year One or Primary to Secondary. If anyone has come across anything they think may be useful or can help, I d be really grateful.Thankyou very much!!!!

3. During my degree I researched children's friendships within a year 2 class but found some research by Judy Dunn quite useful. She is quite well known within this field and has written a few books. Also Why love matters by Sue Gerhardt useful for attachment theory. Sorry if this is really obvious, but if not hope it helps!