1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research and Free Coaching Opportunities for Head Teachers

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by sciencenewbie, Apr 28, 2017.

1. sciencenewbie

sciencenewbie New commenter

My name is Neil Gilbride. I am a lecturer in Educational Leadership at the University of Gloucestershire and a PhD student at the University of Bath.

I am writing as I am currently looking for head teachers who are willing to be part of my study. For their involvement, I am in a position to be able to offer participants free personalised CPD/coaching exploring their sense making and its impact on their leadership.

What is the Research?

I have written a few words about the research here. However, you could also watch my 1 minute video explaining what my work is all about https://spark.adobe.com/video/JpGxlwdqiqpXY

The core idea behind my work is that we are always making sense of the world around us. In the 1970’s, Jane Loevinger found there were 8 stages for how people go about making sense of the world, which she called “Ego Development Stages”. If you go to www.egodevelopment.co.uk, you can see what these stages are. What’s important about these stages is

1) They affect how a wide range of factors, from how complex we view the world to how we deal with people

2) People can move through these stages throughout their lives.

3) They treat the person not just as a box of skills, but treat the person as a whole.

My study is trying to see if head teachers in different stages have different ways of leading their school. After all, these stages captures complexity and people skills and what are schools if not complex and people orientated! Therefore, I am exploring if head teachers conduct their day to day leadership differently depending on their stage with the idea of this model informing approaches to leadership CPD going forward.

What Would This Study Involve?

A 36-item questionnaire called the WUSCT (Washington University Sentence Completion Test) – this will tell each head teacher their ego development stage.

We will select a random number of individuals from our sample who we would conduct a full case study with.. This would involve;

· A 30 minute interview over the phone, where we’d ask you about you handled an incident in your school

· A 10-15 minute written exercise – a hypothetical school-related incident.

We would also like to do this interview and written exercise with their Deputy Headteacher and your Head of Governors about an incident they observed them in/how they expect you to respond. All the this data would be confidential and wouldn’t be shared to anyone.

All information they provide would be confidential , and ethical approval has been provided by the University of Bath.

What’s Would Participants Get?

At the end of the study, they would receive a report entailing what their score was and the themes from across their developmental stage

Those selected as a case study would, in acknowledgement for the extra time, receive their report and 3 coaching sessions. I am an experienced coach, and I currently run the PG Cert Coaching and Mentoring programmes at the University of Gloucestershire. You see, the beautiful thing about sense making is that it is not a diagnosis – people can move and grow through these stages throughout their life. The coaching would be focused around what this result mean for them, exploring their context a bit more and thinking about their own next steps.

I am recruiting head teachers for the next month. Would it please be possible to consider sending this out to the members of your association? If they are interested, they can email me directly at n.gilbride@bath.ac.uk or sign up at http://www.egodevelopment.co.uk

I would be happy to answer any questions you might have – please do get in touch if you would like to hear more.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter