1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Research: a link between hope and burnout?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by aliciadalton1903, Jan 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. aliciadalton1903

aliciadalton1903 New commenter

Hello, I am a third year psychology student at the University of Northampton. I am currently carrying out my dissertation research and I am investigating the relationship between hope and burnout in teachers. Previous research suggests that in other high stress sectors, those who have low perception of hope are more likely to experience burnout. I am interested in finding out if this is applicable to teachers as well.
    If you would be interested in filling out a short questionnaire, feel free to message me and I can send you a link to the questionnaire. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

“It's not the despair, Laura. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

Presumably this is your inspiration. I like the idea. I've been retired for nearly seven years so am not able to help I'm afraid. Also I never did burn out, but was extinguished against my wishes.

knitone, 3Es and InkyP like this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Are you inviting responses only from those currently employed as teachers, or are you casting a wider net? Many who have suffered burn out may have left for another career, taken early retirement or be unemployed.

It would be helpful to know, so that your time (and that of willing participants), is not wasted sending and replying to messages.

Good luck with your research! :)

4. aliciadalton1903

I am looking for anyone for anyone who is currently employed as a teacher and has been teaching for at least 1 year. They do not have to be or feel that they are suffering burnout or any particular level of stress.

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Thank you for clarifying @aliciadalton1903

Like Lindenlea, I am retired too and so I can't help. Sorry.

Do try posting in some of the other forums such as Secondary, Primary, Early years etc. though as you'll reach a much wider audience of teachers currently employed there.

wanet and aliciadalton1903 like this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

What does 'low perception of hope' mean?

7. aliciadalton1903

Hope in a psychological context is a positive emotional state that is based on a sense of combined successful goal-directed energy and planning to meet goals. So someone who is low in hope is lacking the will and determination to achieve goals and have a set of strategies to reach their goals.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

And what about someone who has 'low perception of hope'? Is that the same as someone 'who is low in hope'?

finisterre_277 likes this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ditto!!

10. misseviltoyou

misseviltoyou New commenter

I'll fill it in. Interesting definition of hope - what about individuals with the will, the drive, and the strategies, who fully expect the goalposts to be shifted once the goal is reached and cannot yet plan for the new goal? Are they lacking in hope, lacking in foresight, or just experienced teachers? ;)

Lascarina likes this.
  11. aliciadalton1903

Firstly, I have messaged you with a link to the questionnaire. Secondly, I believe that in that case if you have had the drive and plans to reach a goal and you have reached that goal, as long as you're still motivated to reach the next goal even if you cannot yet plan for it you would not be lacking in hope, lacking in foresight may be likely though. If you reached one goal and had no intention to meet other goals then you would be lacking in hope.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

What about those who hope that those above will stop setting them unwanted goals? Is that false hope?

13. finisterre_277

finisterre_277 Established commenter

Do you really need to ask that question?!

14. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have come to the conclusion that anyone with a 'low perception of hope' is a realist.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

[​IMG]

Lascarina likes this.