1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rescue Remedy - Does it work?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Im feeling particularly edgey at the moment - lots going on at work, it has been a stressful year, im going for an internal promotion, to do list seems to be infinite...run of the mill teacher things, but im not sleeping particularly well either. I know its only temporary and once ive caught up and the interview is over with, I will begin to calm down, but I wondered about using rescue remedy before my interview.
    Has anyone used it? I know people that swear by it. Even if its just a placebo effect im still inclined to try!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

It's good but you could also try one of the other Bach remedies especially for stress.

3. If you expect it to work it probably will have some effect.

4. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Although i was assured it would, it didn't work for the dog for bonfire night [​IMG]

5. It's never worked for me before competitions (horses), I find vodka is better.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I've used it before a job interview and felt that it helped. I couldn't drive my car as I'd had an operation on my wrist two days before. I had absolutely no problems and was super calm and collected. It could have been lingering anaesthetic though!
    I got the job too. Unfortunately, it didn't work out; I never actually started, effectively 'resigning' before my start date! It was with Sure Start and I'd had years of experience in a Social Services Family centre and then went into teaching. By the time I got the job, Sure Start no longer accepted QTS as a qualification that merited more than the starting pay: a B Tech in Childcare or Nursery Nurse qualication would have resulted in a higher starting pay! It was 11 years ago and they could have paid £16k for the post, which was then around the same as NQT pay in teaching. They offered me £11k; the manager was clearly embarrassed offering it (by phone the next day) as they really wanted me on-board as I'd completely out-performed everyone else at interview. They actually selected me the same day even though they'd told everyone they'd be discussing interviewees over the following week.

7. Kissing a frog and burying it at the crossroads works too if you believe it will, and with exactly the same amount of scientific evidence.

8. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

It won't do any harm and may do some good so worth a try. You can also use antihistamine at night to make you groggy and that may help you sleep. Good luck.

9. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

It won't do any harm and may do some good so worth a try. You can also use antihistamine at night to make you groggy and that may help you sleep. Good luck.

10. There probably isn't time now but for future reference you could tell your GP that some short-term relief might be helpful and try out Valium or a beta-blocker. I would never recommend either without trying them out first in a non-important sitaution - beta-blockers didn't help me, and the normal dose of Valium knocks me out flat and makes me slur, and frankly I'd enjoy a bottle of Pinot Noir far more. But I know plenty of people wh have found them both very useful in extreme situations.

11. I used some Bach flower remedies a little while ago when I was having a horrible stressed time. Not the rescue remedy, a few specific ones from here: http://www.bachcentre.com/centre/remedies.htm
    (Beware, it can be a bit like reading a medical enyclopedia, you might end up thinking you need them all)
    I would say they really helped me, but I'm well aware that it might be all in the mind. Thagt said, I don't really care how they work - even it it's as a placebo - so long as they do. I was in a bad place and would have tried almost anything to feel better.

12. I don't really care how they work - even it it's as a placebo - so long as they do.
    Absolutely!

13. They work for me. I have a herbalist who I discuss my problems with and she mixes up my remedies, although you can do it yourself.
    As others have said, even if it is all in the mind it works for me and I'm happy to stick with it!

14. I had an herbalist who I visited every Friday night...until he got done for possession with intent to supply. :¬((

15. The non-herbal Nytol works a treat for getting you to sleep of an evening. Need to ask the pharmacist for it though as they only do the crappy green one on the shelves.

Probably not the best thing to take before your interview though [​IMG]

Much luck wished your way

16. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I too know people who swear by Rescue Remedy. I think the secret to success (if indeed there is any!) is to start taking it a few days in advance of the event. So don't take it for the first time just before the job interview or driving test ... build up to it.
    My sister used to swear by beta-blockers at uni for big stressy things such as presentations and exams!

17. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

LOL

18. Be careful how much you have though - we had a teacher who guzzled a whole bottle before an inspection - and wondered why they felt so good - it is a tincture which means it is in neat alcohol!

19. I have used it to calm me when I stopped smoking and it did help( went back on the *** though!)
    Also used another Bach's for my daughter who was having terrible tantrums- My elder son never even said No to me, so it was a big surprise when she started at 2 ( or maybe even younger?) We told her it was her 'calming down' medicine and it was fabulous- I suppose that even at that age it could have been a placebo but all I know is that the tantrums went. I think it was Chicory but can't be sure. Many years ago now.