1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

rescue cat coming home today - any tips for us?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 30, 2012.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Morning all
    Our rescue cat is coming home today. Mr Tarte and the tartettes are picking him up after work/school.
    I'm very excited about meeting our new addition to the family. My sister gave birth on the day of the rescue centre visit/matching process, so I wasn't able to accompany the others there!
    His name is Bruce (which we actually really like!), 1 - 2 years old, was a stray, grey tabby, a big friendly, laidback fellow who seems pretty affectionate. My children have fallen in love [​IMG]
    We have all the new equipment and food ready and waiting for him. I know that many of you are real animal lovers and thought you may have some top tips on settling Bruce into his new home. This is our first 'proper' pet and we just want to get everything right. Our daughters are all calm, well behaved animal loving types so I don't have many concerns there.
    Many thanks in advance.

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Oh, I should add that Bruce has already been neutered, wormed, treated against fleas. We have followed the shelter's advice and bought all the food he's used to (which is top notch stuff [​IMG]).
    Any recommendations for good, reasonably priced pet insurance would also be most welcome, as would any tips on when to let him outdoors (have obviously bought all litter requirements for now) /have free rein of the house.

3. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I would say Petplan for insurance, as they cover you the most comprehensively. I am sure he will be fine, just let hiom have some quiet time as and when he needs it. Loads of advice on the RSPCA website too.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks dogcat. Will look up their website now.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

When I took a cat in, she hid behind the curtain for two days so I moved her food and litter tray near to there and jus tleft her alone. She was eventaully coaxed out and very gradually started to explore more of the room, then further afield but it was a while till she was brave enough to go outside - she just used to stick her nose out. Now she's everywhere and loves it if I leave the cellar door open - she's off to explore, or she finds an open cupboard. I have found her in the strangest places. So my advice is let the cat set the pace (and he sounds lovely).

6. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I would keep him inside until he is comfortable.
    he should come back once your house is his home
    theoretically

7. butties

butties New commenter

Our rescue cat was introduced to her litter tray by popping her in it, her food and water were already and waiting. She went into our sitting room, wound herself around our legs, jumped up onto the settee and went to sleep purring loudly. We had her for 17 wonderful years, she was a very loving animal, a definite people cat who adored company. We lost her a year ago Christmas at the grand age of 19. I wish you and you new pet many happy years together!

8. We have adopted five rescue cats and out most recent one about two months ago. We were told by the Cat Protection League to leave her in for four to six weeks which we did and, so far, have not had any problems with her roaming. We too bought the expensive food they recommended but she now eats the food that the other three cats eat. Some have been shy when starting and have needed a lot of time to come out from a hiding place but the most recent one is very assertive and came out of the cat carrier/room straight away!

9. I agree with Joli. He sounds like a lovely furry fellow.
    Security is most important to cats....so for a while you must keep him indoors, and have his food and litter tray in places where he can get at them easily. Show him to his litter tray initaially. Plonk him on it....and be a bit vigilent for his skulking off to corners....every time you think he needs to go..plonk him on his tray. Cats so quickly get used to it.
    Give him lots of praise and say his name over and over (I always add 'good boy' as a phrase too. You can communicate with cats...[​IMG])
    He'll soon realise you are his new owners...or that he has now allowed you to adopt him. [​IMG]
    Give him time to settle in and don't let the children hassle him too much. Cats rule...you'll soon discover this...so don't torment him or fuss him when he has a scowly face or wagging tail. Leave him be....That's important because he may lash out otherwise and upset the children. Cats will let you know when they want you to be attentive to them. He may like lots of cuddles, but do , as Joli says, take the lead from him. Find out if he is a lap cat...pat your lap and encourage him to sit on you. Most cats like that closeness. Some will never be lap cats though...it's very strange. Make sure he has a cosy cushion somewhere away from draughts. He may make it his own special place...but may prefer to go off to a bedroom for some peace and quiet.
    He has been neutered I take it? (I imagine he has if he is coming from a rescue centre.)
    Oh and milk isn't too good for cats either. I give mine a tiny drop each day because he is now used to it but every time I go to the fridge he seems to think I should give him milk! He'd drink a lot of it if I indulged him, so if he is already a milk drinker be firm about making it a once a day (small) treat.
    When the man took on a cat (he'd never had one before) he imagined they were like dogs in their eating and behavioural habits. You can teach him not to jump on to kitchen worktops etc...but they are never as obedient as dogs. In feeding too, they like to eat little and often. Man thought he could put down food at a certain time and his cat would scoff the lot! He soon discovered cats can be picky eaters. Always leave some dry crunchy food down for him and a big bowl of water too. He may like to snack on this and it will save you from his pestering to be fed every five minutes. You'll soon get used to their little habits and preferences.
    He'll become such a lovely addition to your family Tarte. They are so easy to look after and love. Soon you won't be able to imagine life without him, I am sure x x

10. I don't really have anything to add to the excellent advice that has already been given but I just wanted to say that I hope you are all very happy-he sounds gorgeous.

11. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Hope all goes well with your kitty - he sounds a lovely boy and very lucky.

I am now on my third rescue cat - the other two both lived to be 16+ - I only have one at a time though.

The current one I have had since October (after the death of my previous 16-year-old rescue cat a few weeks before). Following the advice of the rescue centre I kept her in for 5-6 weeks - and now she goes out but still has to use her litter tray - grr! But she is lovely.

The rescue centre offered something run by Vets4pets where if you pay £99 within a month you can have your cat vaccinated free for life - as long as you don't fall behind with the jabs. I have done that as it seems a good offer.

I looked at pet insurance which I have to say I haven't bothered with before - you can go on comparison websites. In the end I chose Petplan because although there were lots cheaper, they were quite restrictive about cover for recurring problems and the excesses were quite high. The excess tends to be £65 which I think is about the cost of the consultation fee at the vet.

12. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Awwwwwww! Rescue cats are lovely and such a pleasure to have. I have had 3 (adopted 1, then adopted 2). On the first occasion, Charlie came out of his box straight away and after a quick reccy round the living room jumped straight onto my knee, curled up and went to sleep.
    The 'new' kittens were much more timid. My advice is to open the cat box into one room and keep the door closed. Sit back and watch TV/read a book and just let him come out in his own time and have a look around. Put some food and water (not milk!) close by so he quickly realised he's going to get fed here and that he's safe.
    Other than that, he'll figure things and people out in his own time.
    Enjoy! xx

13. Aw Can we have a picture when he's settled?
    Rescue cats are so rewarding. As others have said, keep him in for at least 4 weeks to allow him to assosciate your house as being his territory. When you do let him out, do it at the weekend when you are in, let him out hungry and leave the door open if you can so he doesn't come 'home' and find he cant get in.

14. Oh and PetPlan are by far the best. I pay about £30 a month for all 3 of ours, one being a pedigree, so I would imagine around £10 a month would be the norm.
    Make sure you get their 'covered for life' policy. Many insurers only insure up to a certain amount, or 12 months of having a condition - so if pusscat develops something longer term they stop paying out and this makes it very hard to get insurance from any other company after that.

15. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

With a bit of luck your new cat will let you settle into its new domain quite soon.

On the day you let it out side for the first time, do so before its feeding time, not after. It's more likely to want to return.

16. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Oh and don't forget - dogs have owners but cats have staff.

17. Our rescue cat arrived in July, I was keeping her in so carefully, didn't want her to get lost etc. However the morning I found her asking to be let in I knew she had settled..... remember to shut windows or at least have them too tight for a cat to get out!

18. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

At last, I've found a peaceful moment to pop on here and thank you all for your wonderful words of wisdom. Thank you!
    So far so good with Brucie. Will post more later (and no doubt ask more questions!) when I have more time.

19. We have one and she goes by the name of T.C. Our previous one adopted us and the one before her was another RC ( Rescue Cat, that is! )
    They have all been amazing. The best.
    We were advised to keep this latest one indoors for a period of 3 weeks; we did and it worked like a charm.
    Good luck with Brucie :) Love the name!!

20. So very true! This made me smile after a tough day, thank you!