1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Rescue cat advice sought

Discussion in 'Personal' started by DottyLou, Feb 14, 2011.

1. My mother always had cats as we grew up; her last one died about five years ago. Mum is a gentle, highly mobile and fit woman in her early eighties who nursed dad for years until his death a couple of years ago. Our various family cats (never more than two at a time!) lived years and loved her especially.

She now lives in a lovely second floor flat she owns herself, and I'm near by. Last night she told me although she loves her flat and has no desire to move, she regrets not buying a ground floor flat as she is a bit lonely at times and would love a cat again.

I went on to the local cats home website and they have a few cats who need indoor space only as they have some sort of special need and wouldn't be safe outside (one has a gammy leg for example, and one has no sense of direction and poor balance. These things in themselves would not bother my mum in the slightest.)

My question is this - do you think this would work? I've never known of an indoor cat. Is it fair? Does cat litter smell bad? (Our cats were always able to go outside into the huge garden they had then). Do you think they would consider someone at her age adopting a cat? She is visually impaired but not blind and as I said, very fit and healthy, but I don't particularly want to take her down there and have them tell her she's too old. Nor do I want to go behind her back - this would be her decision, I'm just finding information for her. I could care for a cat when she's away which isn't very often and she is comfortably off so could easily afford vets' fees etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. I don't know how the cat's home would view your mother but cats can certainly live indoors and no, modern cat litter doesn't smell horrid - as long as the tray is cleaned on a regular basis.
    You could try approaching the cats' home on your own first, explain the situation and see how they react - it wouldn't be going behind your mother's back, just finding out if they would consider her suitable. If they say yes, you could then go together to choose one.
    I do hope they say yes. Much as I love dogs,and indeed have one, I always think a home is not complete without a cat. Good luck.

3. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I think the cat shelter would be more than pleased for their cats to be given a loving home. I think their only concern might be a cat out-living their new owner (pardon me for being so blunt about that!) and so some confirmation of who would look after the cat in this event might help.
    I have a rescue cat, and he's absolutely gorgeous. He's incredibly loving and cuddly. I'm sure a cat would bring your mum a lot of joy.
    Good luck.

4. Thanks for responses - we talked about the issue of cat outliving owner, and decided if we do go ahead, an older cat would be most suitable for that reason. I do think my mother will be around for years - her mum lived to 98 and mum is much fitter than she was (never smoked like her, on no medication bar eye drops for glaucoma etc.) And I hate to think of her being lonely. She has always had a very gentle, companionable way with animals. She used to have great conversations with the cats when we were being hideous teenagers, or when dad was being a difficult invalid, which he was for years and years. I think they were therapeutic really. She did hate the occasional small bird carnage though - so I guess indoor cat life would stop that bit.

5. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Most places would do a home check anyway. RSPCA and CPL do.

I think it sounds a great idea!

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The cats that I had when I lived in a flat were indoor cats and we given to us by CPL people as indoor cats. As long as cat litter box is kept clean,the smell is not a problem. The only thing is that you have to be very careful with windows! Only open them if they can be on a latch and not fully opened.

7. I know when I got my cat from CPL, I had to sign a contract and one of the stipulations was I wouldn't let the cat out after dark. I am sure they have many cats who for one reason or another, can't go out at all.
    You can even get food now specifically for indoors cats.
    At the end of the day, a loving owner is a loving owner, and I don't think age matters.
    I think any cat would be lucky to have your mum ;)

8. They certainly would, seriously. I asked her if I could ring the home after we had a chat again this morning. She agreed, and I've found out that her age would not be a barrier to them considering her for a rehome. Apparently cats who need to be indoors include those with a viral condition which would infect other cats and makes them very vulnerable if exposed to infectious cat illnesses, but with which they can live long lives themselves if kept away from other cats. So it sounds like there will be suitable animals available for indoor living. We looked at the website together too and are going to leave it a couple of weeks to think about it and then go for a visit.

I do hope this works out for her, she deserves the love of a good feline.

9. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

When our wee rescue cat was still alive we bought brilliant cat litter that lasted for ages. Think it was based on maize husks or something and you just scooped out solid stuff and hard lumps of pee and flushed them down the loo. Can't remember name of it but can look it up if required.

10. In the past year we have rescued cats and fostered some too; all had to live in a flat. Admittedly it is quite a large flat, but the ones we still have are all very happy and have their own little personalities, quirks, routines, space...
    There is quite a lot of info on the internet re how having cats indoors does keep them safe, etc and I am sure there are lots of rescued cats who would love to stay inside with your mum for company. The only thing is to ensure the litter tray is clean, but modern products work very well.
    When I was growing up, we used to have cats, mostly outdoor ones who came indoors and they invariably met a nasty end due to cars...
    Good luck

11. Its a cat version of HIV but not in any way dangerous to humans. When we got our most recent cat from the rescue home there were absolutely loads of these cats of all shapes, sizes, ages and temperaments. We had to have an outdoor cat (as our others are) but I felt very sad to see so many beautiful animals that would most likely see out their lives in a cage because of this affliction.
    I very much hope she can get one, for both her and to help a cat who may otherwise go unhelped.
    Good luck! x

12. As others have already said - it's no problem keeping cats indoors. We adopted two cats who were both indoor cats due to being terrified because of their experiences before they were rescued. They are both fabulous. Cat litter doesn't smell as long as you change it regularly.
    Many cat homes find it hard to home cats who are more 'troublesome', e.g. have FIV or are too scared to go out, so the main problem might be only coming away with one cat!

13. Of course she could have a cat under these circumstances. The only thing I find with cat adoption agencies is that they can be very precious about whom they let adopt a cat.
    Although I have three moggs born here who live well in our large garden, the fact my house is on a "road" - heavens!!- has once or twice been an impediment.
    You do sometimes wonder at the brains of the people running these places, so if disappointed don't be afraid to take another route. A cat is always going to be happier with a loving owner than in some industrialised charity home.