1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requires Improvement... 3 times! What next?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by splendidconfusion, Jun 22, 2016.

1. splendidconfusion

splendidconfusion New commenter

Evening all,

Just come to the end of our OFSTED inspection. Pretty rough 2 days...
    Anyway, we were inspected in 2008, got satisfactory, 2011, got satisfactory/RI (not sure when it changed), 2014 (RI), monitoring visit (RI)... now full inspection, which I feel should be an RI again. Might not be, but that's what I feel.

What is the likely result if it's another RI? Academisation? If we've already looked into forming our own MAT with another school, would that be accepted? We're not very far along the process at all... Finally, any idea on time-scales? If academisation was forced upon us, how long to take effect? I have a new job lined up for September anyway, but concerned for my friends who would be affected by changes.

Thanks!

2. Stewsterthebear

Stewsterthebear New commenter

Wait until you told what the outcome is and meanwhile go to the pub!

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

How much does it cost for schools to be changed like this? And does it do anyone any good?
    And how can satisfactory now be unsatisfactory?
    And doesn't everywhere require improvement? Even if you think you're an outstanding teacher, aren't you always 'requiring' yourself to try to do even better?

Compassman, phlogiston and wanet like this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Probably a nervous summer as there's a fair chance the report won't be published until September. One of our local schools waited ages (much longer than the 19 working days they claim) to get their score.

5. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

nothing you an do to change any of it, agree with the above, go to the pub, take your colleagues if you feel for them!

6. Northhead

Northhead Occasional commenter

You can be RI for 2 consecutive FULL inspections (ie not counting monitoring visits) but you cannot be graded RI on the third full inspection. You can be outstanding, good or if the school is not deemed at least good, then it's special measures.

Most schools I know that have had 2 consecutive RI inspections then become an academy as the slate is wiped clean in terms of gradings.