1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requirements for teaching in australia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SamEdwards91, Sep 18, 2018.

1. SamEdwards91

SamEdwards91 New commenter

I am looking into teaching in Australia and wondered if anyone knew the requirements to do so? E.g. certificates or applying for a visa before applying. I have a BSC, PGCE and 5 years experience teaching in the uk?

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Do a search.
    Here or online generally.
    It sounds from what others say like it's not easy and varies from state to state.

SamEdwards91 likes this.
  3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You will need either:

A remote school willing to sponsor you for a visa (remote doesn't necessarily mean the outback, some smaller cities can do this)

Or

A permanent 187/189 visa. This is points based and you'll need a degree, PGCE, IELTS and several years experience to have the required points. You'll then need to move to Australia unemployed and find work from there unless your subject is shortage enough to get a job over Skype

4. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

A sense of humour
    Don't ask them how their cricket, rugby, football, or pretty much any other sporting team is getting on.
    Take care when using sandpaper.

englishdragon and ruthwill500 like this.
  5. Sherbear320

Sherbear320 New commenter

We have loads of Oz teachers here in NZ cause they can’t get jobs at home unless you math or science or want to go remote very very difficult

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

its also the reason why there are so many Australians out there on the international circuit.

7. swsimp160

swsimp160 Occasional commenter

I done four years in Brisbane on a 457 visa leaving late 2015. There is a what education Queensland describe on their website as a 'severe' long term shortage of maths, chemistry and physics teachers. I am maths/chemistry applied for one job and got it (this was at the highest performing IB school in Australia). If you are one of these three subjects then pick your school. If not, to varying degrees, you will struggle and if primary no chance. As for registering with Queensland College of Teachers it was very easy. No expert but if you have a decent UK degree and PGCE then will not be a problem (complete opposite of Canada) My employer did the lot. Suppose to be about a ten week turn around but with pressure from my school the whole process took less than a week for four year provisional with easy upgrade to permanent teacher status.

Teaching in oz is fantastic. Great pay, pensions and short days.Kids were fantastic. In my opinion worth struggle and effort to give it a go.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  8. swsimp160

Been texting my old HOD the situation in Queensland for maths/science is even worse than a few years ago so if you teach these you could work for Education Queensland no probs and a school may even be prepared to sort a visa but don't know about international schools. There is basically full time general supply if you go rural (roughly two hour drive from Brisbane eg Warwick) or FT work with incentives such as accommodation if you go remote (middle of no where), both regardless of what you teach, again with Education Queensland.

There may well be Ozzies on the 'circuit' but it is very different from Canada where there are no jobs anywhere in any subject, the unions rule everything and the provincial college of teachers go out their way to make registration difficult.

All this is making me want to go back. The Ozzie sense of humour, brilliant kids, beers before parents evening and bbq's every weekend. Oh and school day is 8:50 am to 3 pm with two 40 minute breaks and the sun shines over 300 days a year in Brisbane. Anyone know an Ozzie woman prepared to marry for passport?

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

'I done four years in Brisbane...I am maths/chemistry.'

And here was us thinking you must be an English teecher.

10. swsimp160

To well qualified to be an English teacher will leave the lesser subjects to the likes of you

11. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Dead right. English teachers are ten a penny, which means good ones have to compete for jobs. But don't get me started on the barrel scraping I've had to go through to find a passable chemist.