1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requirements for Housemistress

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jbnuss, Jan 28, 2007.

1. I have been looking for a position as a housemistres in a boarding school somewhere in the UK. I have worked for over 20yrs in a pastoral role with high school kids here in the states. I am finding that most postions require you to have a teachers license. Is this true for all housemisteress or are there some hired for just being the houseparent and not teaching? Please help. We are trying to move over in the fall of 2007.

Kris

2. I have been looking for a position as a housemistres in a boarding school somewhere in the UK. I have worked for over 20yrs in a pastoral role with high school kids here in the states. I am finding that most postions require you to have a teachers license. Is this true for all housemisteress or are there some hired for just being the houseparent and not teaching? Please help. We are trying to move over in the fall of 2007.

Kris

3. Your best bet is to apply for jobs as a Matron, or assistant house Mistress- if you have first aid skills these would help. One of the best magazines for these types of jobs is The Lady.
    Good luck.

4. Most housemistresses would be required to do some teaching.

5. There are 2 types of HM - non-teaching and teaching. Teaching get paid on the proper scale plus an allowance for running the house which varies from school to school. Non teaching tend to be paid 24-18k only - there are a few who pay more but these are the premier league lot and expect a LOT more!
    As to the teaching - if you have experience in a classroom that may be ok (again dep on teh school). Independent schools are not required by law to hire qualified teachers - (most do though) have you applied for any so far??

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

and i thought a house mistress was a lady with a whip.dam wrong thread sorry!

7. We have non teaching housemistresses at our place.

8. Yes I have applied for two. I have not had any reponse yet, but still hoping. I worked with Young Life for many years. Would really like to continue to work with youth. Dose anyone know of any job openings in boarding schools.

9. Carnot

I am laughing like a drain at your comment.
    Polly!

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter