1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requirement to speak Welsh

Discussion in 'Cymru - education news' started by azzie, Dec 6, 2015.

1. azzie

azzie New commenter

I am about to complete my ITT course in June and obviously I will be looking for jobs. My qualification will have been gained in England, I do not speak any Welsh. I will be qualified as an Early Years Teacher and looking for jobs in that phase. Is it a waste of time to apply for jobs in Wales? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. david846846

david846846 New commenter

Not necessarily, look at the person specs and speak to the schools. As a general rule the further from the English border the harder it will be to get a job without good Welsh language abilities.
    Many teachers in English medium schools in Wales speak little to no Welsh. You will be expected to learn and use basic Welsh from the outset. It would also be worth learning a few key phrases now so you can claim to know some incidental Welsh, don't worry about pronunciation just give it a go. There are courses in beginner Welsh for teachers run frequently, so there will be opportunities to improve if you get a job in Wales.

3. darkness

darkness New commenter

You will need to demonstrate good use of incidental welsh and the language patterns for each phase. You may desire an early years post but like all schools you could end up in year 6, 2 years later and would need considerable welsh speaking ability.

You can pick a lot of it up. However, demonstrating no Welsh speaking and writing ability from the outset would not do you any favours since it is a core thing during inspections.

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

rydym yn casáu'r competition

5. caielen

caielen New commenter

I'd advise you to familiarise yourself with the Welsh curriculum available on the Welsh Government's website. It isn't the same as the English one. As for the Welsh language many schools only teach Foundation Phase through the medium of Welsh and those that don't are expected to teach Welsh as a second language ie lot of incidental Welsh. Good luck.

6. lightningbobmew

lightningbobmew New commenter

Hi there! I studied primary teaching in England and previously only knew a few words in Welsh.....I now teach in Cardiff, Wales in an English-medium school where I teach Welsh as a second language in discrete lessons. Although some schools are looking particularly for confident Welsh speakers, I did not find that my lack of Welsh knowledge was a barrier as many people are in the same boat....I think what did help was being openly keen to learn the language - it has been a lot of fun learning Welsh and teaching it as I go along! I teach year 3 /4 and do not find their sentence patterns a struggle to learn. On request, I have found many things in school that have been a help, such as collections of Welsh games and sentence patterns taught in each year. I have also found a few bits on youtube that help with pronunciation such as Learn Welsh with Will and Jingle Jeff (totally silly but a real laugh!) Wishing you much success and enjoyment teaching in Wales :)