1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting to reduce working days from 0.8 to 0.4 after maternity leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Coolgiraffe, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

I have written a letter based on the template by Theogriff but wondered if it is best to approach the school informally first?

Thank you!

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

My first reaction was to ask why you might want to approach the school informally. But then, it occured to me that the reaction might be to give a reason why it would not be a good idea, meaning that you could then deal with that reason in your letter. If you are comfortable chatting with the Head about it, perhaps it might make sense. I wonder what those who have more experience than me think.

3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I can't see any reason not to talk to the head informally first. You'll probably at least get an idea of how the land lies - and as Piranha says, if they suggest that it will be impossible for a particular reason, you can address that specifically in your letter. There's also the possibility that the head says something about how you might be deployed that will affect how you put your case.

4. hdavis7612

hdavis7612 New commenter

I approached my head informally first and was told no and given a reason why. I then used this information to argue how it could in fact work through a formal request, using Theo Griff's template. I was granted my request.

5. Coolgiraffe

:)Thank you!

I have made an informal request now and will have to wait and see what the decision or comments end up as.

I'll then address them in a letter if needs be.

6. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

As always the "don't bring me a problem, bring me a solution" approach is more likely to bear fruit.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You just need to be VERY CAREFUL with this informal-request-follow-up-formal-request.

You only have the right to make one application per year, so if you make your informal request in writing, they may decide to consider it an actual request, and that's you stymied for a year!

Best wishes

8. Coolgiraffe

Thank you Theogriff, will let you know what happens.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Let's hope that the reply to the informal request is positive. However, even if it is, I'd still take care about the official letter, as they may come up with a snag later, so deal with any issues that you can think of.

10. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Approach it informally, but make sure you have a 'resolution to a problem' first. Talk to your Headteacher about your circumstances bearing in mind that they are legally obliged to decline your request. If you have a resolution however, your case will be stronger in the school authorising this.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Think there's a keyboard slip-up there, @jago123 !

They are not legally obliged to agree to your request?

They are legally obliged to consider your request, but not to grant it?

But not legally obliged to decline it!

;)

Best wishes