1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting to go part time

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by hana54, Oct 25, 2014.

1. hana54

hana54 New commenter

Hi all,

I had my son 7 weeks ago so am currently on maternity leave. I would like to request to return to work next year part time. Does anyone know when I should make this request? Should I expect to be contacted re. a return to work meeting, or do I approach the head myself? Very confused about the whole thing! Thank you x

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

You can make one request a year - You have the right to make your request but not to have your request granted. In order to give your request the best chance of positive consideration you should make your request as soon as possible so that your head can consider how best it could be accommodated and the impact on teaching and learning. Put your request formally in writing outlining the benefits to the school of granting it - Theogriff has some excellent advice and a letter template for this purpose.