1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting time off

Discussion in 'Governors' started by EmmaLou93, Sep 27, 2015.

1. EmmaLou93

EmmaLou93 New commenter

Hi,
    I am an NQT and am moving house, my head teacher told me I have to write a letter to the Governors requesting the day off, but I have no idea how to structure the letter. Was wondering if anyone could me some guidance please.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Ludicrous - there should be a policy already in place which gives criteria for this and the head should therefore be able to say yes or no. Is your head new to the job?

Write to the chair of governors by name and be sure to date the letter and put your address in the top right hand corner, as always.

Dear Mr Bloggs

Formal request for leave of absence

I write to request permission to take one day's leave of absence on (date) in order to move house.

Yours sincerely

Emma Lou

3. keepthespirit

keepthespirit New commenter

As a governor I would be appalled to receive a letter from a member of staff for such a small request. Not with the member of staff, I would be disappointed in any head who felt the need to pass this on to the governors.
    Is he able to make any decisions ?

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. coppull

coppull New commenter

If you are in a Local Authority school then there should be a policy on this matter. If you are in Union ask your local secretary about this matter.

5. Middlemarch

Exactly!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Write to the governors as requested. I do hope the head teacher is present when the letter is read out to the governing body for consideration…..

7. Middlemarch

Yes, do - and for full effect, insert "As directed by the headteacher Mr XXXXX" before "I write to request..."

Just to make sure, when the governors exclaim "Why has this come to us? Why haven't you dealt with it, Mr XXXX?", he doesn't fib and claim he knew nothing about it.

8. montiagh

montiagh New commenter

This is not a matter for the GB it is operational. It is for the head to decide.

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

As a Chair of Governors myself I too would be surprised to receive the request. I'd expect the head to make the decision (because I'd expect the governors to have delegated the decision to the head).

However, before we shoot the head out of hand for all-round feebleness and buck passing do check the relevant school policy. There's likely to be a formal governors policy dealing with staff requests for time off in term time. It's just possible that it's the governors who have retained the power to make the decision themselves and not delegated it to the head. (It's not sensible for a GB to do that - although it would be legal - but that's a separate issue).

You can then link your letter to the relevant policy. Otherwise, as MM says, it's just a one line request. How much more can you say about why you want a day off to move house? Perhaps add 'Please let me know if you need any more information'.

10. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I've worked in 2 LEAs. Both had "five emergency days" policy - for events such as moving house, attending a funeral, having to deal with a flooded kitchen.

However, if the school is an Academy or Independent it may not have such a policy. Do as requested, and wait for the acceptance.