1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting sabbatical/career break

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by miffy2007, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Hi,
    After much consideration I have decided to take a year out from teaching to spend a year abroad.
    Having checked my contract I know that I need to hand in my notice by the end of this term (Spring) and that I am not entitled to a sabbatical. I plan to request the year off, unpaid and if I am turned down then I will hand in my notice.
    I am seeking advice on how to approach the HT with this request. I have worked in my school for five years and it is the only teaching job I have had. I don't find the HT very approachable, which is making me nervous. So any tips on how to start the conversation, whether I should tell my HoD (I work in two different departments) first, if I need to have the request in writing from the outset etc.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It is rare for head teachers to grant such requests these days, not least because it means filling the post temporarily with 'someone' for a year in your absence at the risk of non-return. However, I would put your request in writing to the head teacher outlining the benefit to the school of the experience you have lined up abroad in order to stand the best chance of approval.