1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

requesting part time after maternity

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by farming_girl, May 14, 2014.

1. farming_girl

farming_girl New commenter

Just after some advice please. I am returning to work full time after maternity in June but think it will be too much. I would like to request to go 0.6 from September. I have the letter template from theogriff but what sort of things do people put in how the school will be affected and how the impact can be lessened. My head has already told me I can't do part time but I only asked informally so now I will request in writing. Just a bit unsure as to what I should write.

Thank you in advance.

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

If declined your head teacher will have to give valid business reasons for their decision - which really could be any reason they choose.

In your letter you should try and convince them otherwise - Giving sensible and feasible suggestions for how it could be managed to minimise impact on pupils and learning, and highlight any benefits you can think of.

3. farming_girl

farming_girl New commenter

Thank you! I am quite sure I don't stand a chance as she has already told me that! :( Wishing I had decided to leave so not ready.