1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting medical records

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by maccemgirl, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi
    Before Christmas I had an operation. I had four weeks off work. A sick
    note was provided by my surgeon stating the dates I was unable to work. I
    have now recieved a letter asking me to sign to give the insurance
    company (who the school has a contract with) access to my medical
    records.

Although I have nothing to hide, this just doesn't sit easy with me.

Hope someone can advise.

2. Hi
    Before Christmas I had an operation. I had four weeks off work. A sick
    note was provided by my surgeon stating the dates I was unable to work. I
    have now recieved a letter asking me to sign to give the insurance
    company (who the school has a contract with) access to my medical
    records.

Although I have nothing to hide, this just doesn't sit easy with me.

Hope someone can advise.

3. Sorry, I don't know the legalities of the UK system, but I worked as a medical receptionist for years in Oz, before qualifying as a teacher. This just sounds wrong! Could you ask your doctor or surgeon to write a brief report relevant to your time off? Nobody should EVER have access to your records apart from your doctor. Good luck.....

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't do or sign anything until you have spoken to your union. Do this now.
    If your employers want a medical report there is a procedure to follow. Have a read of the Access to Medical Records Act on the ukgov website.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

When my insurance company needed information for a claim the wording was such that they were allowed access to information related to the accident and they did not ask for full access. I agree that you need to ask your union to find out where you stand legally in refusing.

6. As I understand it you can refuse, and ask your doctor to write a 'summary' for them, detailing just the things they need to know about this particular event.
    I agree - even if you have nothing to hide it sits uncomfortably, as these are your private records and they simply do not need to know whether you went to doctor for heavy periods or earache 5 years ago!