1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting medical records

Discussion in 'Personal' started by maccemgirl, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi
    Before Christmas I had an operation. I had four weeks off work. A sick note was provided by my surgeon stating the dates I was unable to work. I have now recieved a letter asking me to sign to give the insurance company (who the school has a contract with) access to my medical records.
    Although I have nothing to hide, can I refuse? This just doesn't sit easy with me.

Hope someone can advise.

2. Hi
    Before Christmas I had an operation. I had four weeks off work. A sick note was provided by my surgeon stating the dates I was unable to work. I have now recieved a letter asking me to sign to give the insurance company (who the school has a contract with) access to my medical records.
    Although I have nothing to hide, can I refuse? This just doesn't sit easy with me.

Hope someone can advise.

3. I think you can refuse...but then they can refuse to pay out.

4. With the greatest respect to the school, surely thats not really my problem is it?
    I have provided them with the letters/details of the op, pre op notes, dates of op and physio and the sick note, just not really sure why they need my medical records.

5. Apologies, didn't realise it was the school's insurance.
    I made the assumption that the op was done private under insurance so you were claiming on your own.
    In that case, I'm not really sure what they can/can't ask for.

6. Yeah sorry, just reread the post and not very clear! Thanks anyway pinkflipflop x

7. Try ringing CAB?

8. I don't really see why they would need your medical records.
    If I was you I would be a bit wary too!
    If you've got nothing to hide, you may as well just give them the medical records I suppose.