1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Requesting Leave (At Interview)

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by midnight_angel, Jan 15, 2020.

1. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Long story short: I am secondary English trained and taught for 10 years. Left teaching in 2018 (bullying culture, 'work related' stress). I was a Lead Practitioner at the time. When leaving I never intended to go back into a school.

During the last year and half (whilst not working in a school), I became engaged, and have been planning my wedding :)

Now other things have happened in life and I have 2 interviews (one tomorrow and one on Monday) for TA roles in primary schools. I do miss being in the classroom, but I don't miss all the extra rubbish that comes with it, and I'm not too keen on going back to secondary. I like the idea of just assisting the students/teacher, but for someone else to take control of their overall progress, and also like the idea of being with just one class throughout day (one interview is for Y3, the other for Y5).

However, I will need the day before my wedding off work (I get married on a Saturday, so will need to request the Friday off). I am able to go back to the Monday after the wedding, but we are going on honeymoon two weeks later (for 2 weeks).

I know how these things work, and it's the discretion of the head etc, but after spending 28K on wedding and honeymoon, I'm obviously not willing to lose all that money (and want to do both with my new husband!).

I know I need to mention it at interview, but not sure how to approach it (obviously the leave would be unpaid). How willing would HT be, knowing that it's all been planned for months, and it will completely be a one-off? I'm genuinely worried about mentioning it.

2. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

It depends on how great you are!
    If you were my preferred candidate by a mile, I would permit this ... probably the Friday as paid, but the 2 weeks as unpaid.
    If there was a candidate equally as good, I wouldn't.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I agree with you, it must be mentioned at interview. If you are appointed and immediately after you start ask for leave the head will think you deliberately misled the selection panel and you future relations with the head will be frosty. And permission may be refused, leaving you in a difficult position.

I think the best way to raise it is to wait until the end of the interview when you get asked "Is there anything else you would like to ask us/tell us?" and straightforwardly explain your situation. "If am your preferred candidate one thing I need to mention is....". Don't directly ask for a decision there and then, but the response should give you a clear indication of how they are likely to react to a formal request for leave.

cornflake likes this.
  4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

:eek:

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You aren't keeping up with the cost of weddings h-b-f ;)

According to multiple websites - eg this one - the average cost of a UK wedding is around £27k -£28k excluding the honeymoon, just for the 'big day' itself. So OP has come in below average cost! [Cheaper weddings are available….]

6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Or to put it another way, the average cost of a wedding is about the same as a deposit for a house.

To OP, as long as you mention it at interview, I would have thought a reasonable head/governors would look favourably on such an event which had been arranged before you could have known about this job.

edit: I’ve known even unreasonable heads to agree to similar.

Best of luck

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

OP, definitely mention it at interview (after you have knocked their socks off with your sparkling personality, amazing skills, extensive experience and great ideas, of course!) If you're the best candidate and they really want you, I think they'll agree - although the leave will, I'm sure, be unpaid.
    Best of luck, hope it goes well.

8. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

I wouldn’t worry about mentioning it at interview. We recently had two TAs starting at my state secondary and both had holidays already arranged in term time, one of which was for three weeks. If you are honest at the outset and the school wants to employ you, they have to honour prior booked holidays and should not have a major issue with it. As an ex teacher, you already have a substantial advantage over other candidates without that experience. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

9. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Agree with others-ask at interview.
    If they like you, you will be given the time off.
    Wishng you the very best of luck with the interview and congratulations on your wedding.