1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Request to end "charge to share resources" debacle

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by QEHSMJA, Jan 14, 2018.

1. QEHSMJA

QEHSMJA New commenter

Assuming this was just a horrible social experiment to prove that, yes, teaching - the most noble of all professions, built on the very ethos of supporting and helping each other - has indeed become just as capitalist as the rest of our breaking society in 2018, can we please get rid of this hideous stain on what is an otherwise brilliant and supportive community?

I find the very idea of this appalling. What are we doing here?

Owen134866 likes this.
  2. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I can only speak for myself, so if you want anyone else's answer to your question, then perhaps the best place to post this would be on the 'TES Authors' forum.

I have placed a small number of resources on TES, which although they took me some time to prepare, are all available free of charge to whoever wishes to use them. I think that comes under the heading of "supporting and helping each other".

Some of my other resources have each taken me the best part of two or three months to assemble. They are neither simple worksheets nor collections of Power Point slides, but major pieces of work produced in my own time using my own resources. I have not placed them on TES yet, but if I do, then whatever price tag I put on them, will be an order of magnitude less than even 'minimum wage', in terms of the time they took to produce.

If and when I do make these resources available, there is no obligation for anyone to purchase them. But they may decide that the resource in question would be useful to them, and help them save valuable time when pulling together their own resources for a particular unit. The cost of purchasing the resource is more than offset by the time saved.

In an ideal world, any resources a teacher needs/wants would be provided for them by the school or college, or made available by the exam boards, etc. I have to say that in my own experience some of the 'resources' provided by exam boards etc, were not that good. That would include not only the odd Word or PDF document, but also some of the textbooks 'recommended' to accompany particular units.

If I have spent the time putting together a substantial resource to accompany a specific topic or unit, and thereby allowed someone else to free up a substantial amount of their own time, then I don't see why I should not be allowed to ask for a reasonable amount for its' use.

3. ResourcesandCourses

ResourcesandCourses New commenter

I totally agree with your comments, well said.

joannammarsh likes this.
  4. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

And yet you have contributed just 1 resource to this community of "support and help" in the last 5 years!!!

5. alisonwhitecreative

alisonwhitecreative New commenter

Pay artists to make public art? Pay authors to write novels? Pay our favourite bands to write songs? Pay games makers for making games? Pay software developers for developing software? Inventors for inventing? Film makers to make films? Designers to design clothes? Farmers for farming? Teachers for devising resources? Blimey, we'll be paying for food and water and national health care next. Where will it all end?

Kazg1, MosaiK, hoppytimes and 3 others like this.
  6. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

Would love to visit your school. Sounds idyllic...

Assume you teach for free too. That would be noble indeed.

mrajlong, elder_cat and labellaroma like this.
  7. labellaroma

labellaroma Occasional commenter

Assume you teach for free too. That would be noble indeed.[/QUOTE]

Well said!

mrajlong and elder_cat like this.
  8. godwin86

godwin86 New commenter

The OP hasn't considered that by providing a system that rewards independent resource developers the standard of the educational resources is driven up.

Why would I spend an entire day making a perfect lesson without a financial incentive? You forget that the quality of resources on Tes 5 years ago was not so high.

The amount of entitlement from such people... why exactly should I do your work for you for free?! Is my time worth so little to you?

My advice: build a time machine, travel to the early 20th century, get on a boat to Russia.

labellaroma, mrajlong and elder_cat like this.
  9. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

I'm posting on here because I genuinely cannot find a way of contacting Tes regarding an issue on purchased resources. For the last few months I have been buying maths resources for a very reasonable price each week, which has saved me hours of torture, as I am not mathematically minded. The last time I downloaded this particular contributor's resource it had doubled in price and was a quarter of what I would usually get! I left a review and the reply I received was this ... "I am sorry that you're disappointed. Can you take this up with Tes? This is their set format for Tes Author maths mastery plans and not as detailed as my usual planning, but then most of it is practical."
    Can someone from TES explain to me what has happened here? I have absolutely no problem paying for a resource that is useful and of high quality but this has, in my opinion, completely limited this contributor's creativity and the wonderful work they usually have available to purchase. If this is the set format then it is a disgrace. This contributor's reputation instantly went down in my opinion and there is no way I would purchase anything again without a guarantee that the resource was back up to the high standard it was before. Other people had written similar reviews to me, so straight away that's no doubt a few of us who wouldn't purchase these resources again. Originally there was a plan for the week, with starters, whole class teaching, group work, resources to go with that, a smart notebook ... I would happily have paid double the price for that! Please don't do this. From what I can gather this contributor has become a "Tes author" and is tied to a certain way of doing it, which unfortunately is not for me - I had a lovely worksheet for everyday last week but nothing else. So, still had to spend all MY time writing planning from scratch and producing a smart notebook. Kind of defeats the point of paying for someone else's time.

mrajlong likes this.
  10. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Ah, the over promoted maths 'mastery' resources tied to the white rose small steps. Don't get me started on those...

Victoria Plum likes this.
  11. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

12. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @Victoria Plum, thank you for your feedback. Please can you contact the Customer Services Team by emailing help@tes.com?

Thank you.