1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Request to complete tasks on days off

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by xtra, Jun 15, 2017.

1. xtra

xtra New commenter

I frequently receive emailed requests on days I don't work. This could be work for a student who will be absent, data analysis or something similar. Sometimes these require me to respond to on my days off. I have been sent a few emails about not completing these tasks in time from my line manager, for which I have apologised, but also pointed out that if I am sent emails on the days I am off, and have to respond before I am next at work, then I can't oblige and shouldn't be expected to. Does anybody have any constructive advice for dealing with this?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Could you set up a thing (can't remember what it's called) where anyone who sends you an e-mail gets an immediate, automatic reply with your own message? You could write something like, "I am now not at work until Tuesday. I will read this e-mail and complete any necessary actions when I am back at work on Tuesday." Turn it on as you leave work on Friday (or whatever your last working is), and it will act as an immediate reminder that whatever task you've been asked to do won't be done until Tuesday. If it is more urgent, the sender will know they need to find an alternative solution.

bonxie, dunnocks, sabrinakat and 2 others like this.
  3. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 New commenter

I see my 0.4 timetable as 40% of a full timetable.

I attend school on two days, but the rest of my work is carried out when convenient on ANY day, not me ONLY working on those two days.

I find this a fair arrangement, and do respond to emails on my days off (in the evenings when kids in bed) because otherwise being part time would become (more of) an inconvenience to the department, and might make them more reluctant to continue the arrangement.

I think part timers NEED to be flexible with the hours they work.

4. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

Like Kartoshka. Set an out of office e mail bounce saying when you will next be at your desk. Set it to your contracted hours and bobs your uncle. As soon as you leave school that is your own time and nothing more can be expected of you. If someone wants you to get something done by a certain date, then they should give you enough time to do it.

bonxie likes this.
  5. elby1

elby1 New commenter

If possible I agree with the idea of the out of work email. While sometimes you may feel able or want to respond to emails on your day off - you should not be obliged to!

bonxie likes this.
  6. bonxie

bonxie Occasional commenter

Your line manager is aware of the days you work and the days you don't. Asking you to work on days you are not paid to is unreasonable. Their bad management is their problem. It should not be yours. You don't need to apologise for not doing work you're not being paid for. Kartoshka's email reply message seems a perfectly reasonable response to these unreasonable requests.

1 person likes this.