1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Request to attend Governors Meetings

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by Simondo83, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I am a phase leader of a large primary school. I am not on the Governing Body but have been asked to attend a Governors Meeting to present assessment details for my phase. I wouldn't mind but the meetings start in the evening and do not finish until 9pm. Quite an ask seeing as I would have been teaching all day and will be the next day too.
    Does any body know if I have the right to refuse seeing as I am not part of the Governing Body?
    I don't know where I stand formally in this.
    Thanks.

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

There would be no need for you to stay for the whole meeting, ask if your part can be first so you can do it and then go home.

3. No you're not part of the governing body, but you are a phase leader and should expect to have to present reports to senior staff, governors etc as part of your role. I would be more concerned if the governing body had not asked for your input at all.
    You should present this information - it is part of your professional role.
    You could also reasonably expect your governing body to understand you don't need to be there for the whole meeting and schedule your report fairly early on in the agenda. If in doubt, ask for an agenda beforehand. But you should be prepared to go.
    sparkly.

4. Have a word with your Headteacher and be clear about what you are being asked to do and how long it is for. I suspect some of the concern might possibly be the thought of it. Bear in mind Gov often have full time jobs too, some in business and they may have been working until 5pm or even much later. By all means ask if you can present early on in the meeting. Gov are interested in the school, they want it to achieve and by and large they are very supportive. Bear in mind that they are often not from Education so avoid jargon and be clear.
    Get some clarity on what you are expected to do, prepare well and it won't be too onerous. Yes this is part of a leadership role and a reasonable request! Good Luck.[​IMG]

5. What a fantastic rounded reply. Couldn't have put it better myself.