1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Request for time off without pay.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by KatKam33, Mar 16, 2016.

1. KatKam33

KatKam33 New commenter

Hi all, my daughter is expecting her first baby very soon and I would love to be around when she delivers. Do you think it would be looked upon favourably if I asked to take a few days off without pay when it big event occurs? She lives 3 hours away so isn't just a quick hop up the road for a swift visit every night. Has anyone else been in this position? If yes, then I'd be grateful for your stories or thoughts. Thank you.

2. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

You can ask. At my school you definitely wouldn't get it. no time off during term time. That's for all staff; teaching and ancillary. Lots of tears on lots of occasions because people still ask.

KatKam33 likes this.
  3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You can ask. I would certainly consider 1 day unpaid. Three would depend upon what your job role was.

KatKam33 likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

As @Jesmond12 says.

Best wishes to the new Granny!

KatKam33 likes this.
  5. ictbev

ictbev New commenter

When my daughter had her first baby my school (an academy) let me take a PAID week off and a few years later the same school let me take a week off to look after my mum when she had a hip replacement.
    All you can do is ask, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    Being a gran is the best thing in the world

KatKam33 likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

....and grandad. Plus you can give them back at the end of the day!

KatKam33 likes this.
  7. KatKam33

KatKam33 New commenter

Thank you. I'm going to pose the question tomorrow , fingers crossed.

Thanks for your support I am extremely excited for the new arrival xxxx