1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Request for Pictures with CV

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by teachtronic, Jan 21, 2019.

1. teachtronic

teachtronic New commenter

I've noticed some international schools mention it in the application process (to include a recent photograph). I have never really encountered this in the UK when applying for a teaching post in a school and i am struggling to see why this is important as a prerequisite for a teaching.

What benefit does someones appearance have in their ability to be an effective educator? surely during an interview one can gauge if this is a good candidate or not after their application? The cynic in me suspects this is a tool used to filter and discriminate applicants based on looks/ race (and if this is the case it leaves a repugnant taste in my mouth that teaching institutions who are nurturing the next generation act like this) Someone please tell me i am wrong or shed some light on this?

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

It is a colour check.

3. teachtronic

in favour of which particular colour? or is asking that question way to obvious and a taboo?

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

If you have to ask, you dont need to know!

T0nyGT likes this.
  5. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

They don't do it in the UK because it's illegal. It's fair game on the circuit. Your first instinct is right. Sorry to disappoint.

6. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

To be fair we did it once in Singapore and someone sent a picture of them riding a horse, so it's often a way of shortlisting.

7. teachtronic

well it begs to ask the question, who is making these decisions? SLT? and people are ok with working with a group of closet racists?

8. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

I don’t think it quite like that. It’s more of a personalization and a way of authentication for long distance interviews. For sure there is a preference for white faces from parents that aren’t but the schools I’ve worked with in the past 10 years operate a diverse teacher demographic, except this current one though they claim to want diversity. There isn’t one brown person other than the local teachers and ta’s. My last school was more diverse.

Laughing Gravy and teachtronic like this.
  9. teachtronic

It really is a sad day that in 2019 racism still has a root in any educational institution. It is absolutely pathetic how non white parents feel inferior enough to want 'white teaching staff'. Shame on them, teachers should be selected on their credentials, passion and enthusiasm and love for learning and educating not their dam skin colour. Yet we will still go on about the ills of racism and discrimination to pupils in school when we teach them PSHE and citizenship despite the fact the very place they are in purports the same ideology albeit in a more discreet manner.

10. Goodsis

Goodsis New commenter

Hi there
    I am an Indian, not trained in a western country. i do not have a PGCE or QTS! I am applying for English IB DP jobs in international schools in Europe/ Asia but no one is shortlisting my resume for interviews. I have the right skill set, the years of experience and I am well qualified but no one would hire me.

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

You say that you do not have a PGCE or QTS, Goodsis, but then you say that you have the "right skill set" and you are "well qualified". I am sorry, but the schools I have come across, both in the UK and overseas, require a PGCE or a BEd. They also think that you should also have Qualified Teacher Status. If you do not have these things, then you will not be thought of as being "well qualified".

One of the kindest, most patient and hard-working colleagues I have ever had was the deputy head from my school in China. He was South African, but his family had originally come from India.

International schools are fee-paying institutions and therefore they are, to some extent, businesses first and schools second. "The customer is always right" is a proverb that many schools follow and often the principal has to do what the owners tell him (or her) to do.

Laughing Gravy likes this.
  12. agbak

agbak New commenter

If you have a B.Ed/PGCE with the right skill set,you will get hired....Patience is key in all things

I have a B.Ed,trained overseas in Nigeria,taught in the UK for 17 years,British-born of Nigerian parentage,extensive knowledge of the EYFS/KS1/2 and I have been hired second time around on the international circuit

ejclibrarian likes this.
  13. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

It is simply to check the colour of your skin.

British schools in racist parts of the world want 'British looking' people as that is what sells the places in their school to the parents.

Sad, but true.

14. Xtinelove

Xtinelove New commenter

It could also be used to prevent fraud from happening I suppose?

15. miranda-s

miranda-s New commenter

My current school asked for a photo with the application, but our staff (from TAs to SLT) are very ethnically diverse, a wide range of ages and are not all from an English-speaking country. It's easy to assume that the photo is required for racist purposes as described above (and it may well be like this in some schools, I know not all international schools are as diverse as mine), but that can't be the only reason.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

"He who pays the piper calls the tune", miranda-s, so your ethnically diverse SLT may well be overruled by the school's owner(s). International teachers are, almost by definition, fairly liberal and broadminded people, but unfortunately school owners often are not.

Laughing Gravy and teachtronic like this.
  17. frodo_magic

frodo_magic New commenter

It’s a way of filtering out the non-white applications. Middle Eastern parents at international schools for example do not pay good money for their brilliant children to be taught by someone who looks like they should be a cleaner, nanny or driver, however well educated. In the UK, we call it ‘racism’. Over there, it’s called ‘shortlisting’.

JohnJCazorla and Bentley89 like this.
  18. Bentley89

Bentley89 New commenter

What would you suggest the reason is in your school then? I'm genuinely intrigued...

19. james_1979

james_1979 New commenter

True -- there are schools whose business plan is the same as Hooters. These are mainly and highly for profit and profit only. I know of a school in Vietnam who only hired white, predominantly women, in their teaching staff. Some 'qualified' others "qualified". These school take advantage of the rich locals.

True -- there are good British schools who prefer to hire all the Smiths and Tudors. But, oh my the teaching was very inconsistent. Teachers coming from Mickey Mouse universities, the odd prestigious ones here and there.

True -- if you don't have a BEd or a PGCE, you must eliminate racism as a cause.

I am mocha in colour and never had any issues. Qualifications and experience got the nod.

20. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

My old school used to claim it was for two reasons. Firstly, they said that they used to "match" names to the picture. This stinks of racism to me - if they don't think you "look" like a John Smith, they would contact schools and universities with your photo to do a check that you were really the person who worked there. The second reason was more plausible - you wouldn't believe the number of people who would send bikini shots / party selfies as their CV photo! We even had two teachers do their Skype interview on the beach in bikinis!

Whilst I worked there, the vast majority of teachers at my last school were young blonde females. I believe that was starting to change more as I left. My current head visited the school and calls it the Stepford School because she knows from talking to (now former) SLT and owners that they would happily rip up contract renewals etc if they found a blonde woman who "looked better".

Susanne12345 and JohnJCazorla like this.