1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Request for papers via tutor hunt?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by treeickle, May 18, 2018.

1. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

Have had a student contact me to ask for A level papers that are not currently available to students on the exam board website (available to teachers). They want me to send the papers and mark schemes then have follow up online sessions going through the papers with them.

I've printed papers out for students locally that I tutor regularly when I know they're done with the mocks, and it's so close to the exams now that I can't see the harm, but it's still tripping mini alarms.

What do you think?

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Non-service tutor or company trying to access resources to which they have no right. If in your manor then your direct competition attempting to steal your earned advantage. Deny.

border_walker and treeickle like this.
  3. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

But if you send them the mark-scheme at the same time as the past paper then what incentive do they have to book a real lesson with you?
    I send out a past paper then go over it with the student in the lesson.
    If you send them both at the same time then they will tell you that they can manage to go over the material by themselves now - that is if they don't have an alterior motive as above.

phlogiston likes this.
  4. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

And my previous comment doesn't take into account the unethical nature of distributing confidential materials to someone you don't really know as presumeably you haven't exchanged details yet.
    If it's ringing mini-alarms don't do it!

phlogiston likes this.
  5. treeickle

treeickle New commenter

It wasn't sitting well at all, so I've sent a polite 'good luck but I can't help you' message, thank you both for the reaffirmation. Need to learn to trust my suspicions with this tutoring lark.

doctoryes and Vince_Ulam like this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Occasional commenter

Tutor Hunt seems to be going down the pan.

treeickle likes this.
  7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I do a small amount of tutoring and teach in a school that gives me access to the secure bits of OCR and AQA. I do not consider it appropriate to use any of the secure materials in my teaching, unless the child brings me material that their teacher has given them in school. Those materials are there to be used by the school as mocks and the like and actually giving the child an unfair advantage in mocks wouldn't be of much benefit to them in the long term anyway,

hughesleitch and doctoryes like this.
  8. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

Once you have seen a few exemplar questions and corresponding mark schemes for them I would have thought the message would be clear enough.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Assuming that you have legal access to these papers, which may well mean that you are a teacher, then you just need to read the terms and conditions that go with your access to see what you are and are not allowed to do.

border_walker likes this.