1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

request for help!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by kazzmaniandevil, Feb 23, 2011.

1. HI everyone.
    Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but here goes!
    I am a second year uni student studying English at Newman University Birmingham. I am trying to get some work experience in my local schools (I live in worcester) but I am failing miserably to get anyone to talk to me! I have emailed, phoned almost to the point of stalking but I keep getting turned away because the schools are only interested in PGCE students. Would anyone in the Worcester area be able to help???? I just want the opportunity to work in a school to top up my experience and im not even asking for money!!
    Any help greatly apreciated
    Karen

2. HI everyone.
    Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this but here goes!
    I am a second year uni student studying English at Newman University Birmingham. I am trying to get some work experience in my local schools (I live in worcester) but I am failing miserably to get anyone to talk to me! I have emailed, phoned almost to the point of stalking but I keep getting turned away because the schools are only interested in PGCE students. Would anyone in the Worcester area be able to help???? I just want the opportunity to work in a school to top up my experience and im not even asking for money!!
    Any help greatly apreciated
    Karen

3. Karen,
    The best approach to any establishment to gain a work experience placement is to go to the school reception and ask to speak with the Head. If the Head is not available ask for contact details. I have done a few placements now, these have been achieved by face to face requests.
    Are you not able to go back to your old school? That is always another option.
    You could even tell the schools you approach that you will sort out CRB paperwork if that is one of the problems.
    I do not think that the problem is that schools do not like PGCE students.
    I hope that this helps.
    Regards
    Ian

4. Ok
    Few points:
    (1) Getting experience in a school before a PGCE is not teaching in a school. If you are lookig for experience for a PGCE then hanging out at the back of the classroom as a TA/helper/observer is all that is required.
    How have you worded your apporaches to these schools?
    If someone asked me to come and 'work and get some experience' I would say no based on the CRB/insurance/time table issues/stability of kids/professional duty/not knowing the person (and more issues)
    I doubt anyone would let someone teach in their school, especially for no reward.
    If you haven't phrased your approaches in terms of this then Newman are a training school right? they will be able to get you a week or two as a guest in a school.
    The definition of experience is this issue IMO>
    If you want to work as a teacher without QTS then go full time or on a long contract and teach as an UQT or instructor.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Not possible - only the schools can do that.
    Worcester has loads of PGCE students looking for placements. Schools get paid for accepting said students. I can't think what you could offer them, to be honest.

6. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

7. Hi again.
    Sorry i think my post was a little missunderstood. In order to get on to the PGCE I need experience which is what im trying to obtain. I do have a CRB that Newman arranged for me but they are unable to arrange my experience for me.
    Ive contacted all the head of departments for english in the local schools and I am getting turned away because they are full up with PGCE students.
    Im not looking to do any teaching as I hold no qualifications but just want the opportunity to help in classrooms with what ever the teachers might need me for. Surely there is space for me to do that isnt there?
    hopefully this makes more sense sorry for the confusion!
    Karen

8. Most schools should allow you a week to shadow the maths department. You are not there to help but just to gain the minimum requirement to get on a PGCE. That means you sit at the back of the class, observe teaching, go to meetings, go out and stand around on duty, get a feel for the dynamics, hours, expectations and so on.
    Perhaps they think you want to do your PGCE with the school or be an unpaid TA? thats where the issue is likely to be and I can see that 100% in terms of the negative responses.
    Every school I have worked in have allowed potential students in with a visitors badge for the week and have given them a nice range of classes to see. At some point the person has jumped in and helped a kid but the idea of experience is nothing more than standing around and ticking a box to say "I have been in a school and know what I am in for and still want to do it"
    From experience most do, some just run the other way despite thinking they wanted a career in education before.

9. Yeah thats what I assumed but it just seem impossible to get anyone to actually take notice of my emails ! They all seem to assume I want to do PGCE work at the school. Does anyone know anyone that works in the worcester area?

Kazz

10. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Kazz, I work in Brum and we have quite a few students from Newman College (it wasn't always a 'University'! pm me with an email address and I will put you in touch with the student co-ordinator for my school. We have quite a lot of people in to do preliminary observations.

11. pm sent cheers