1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reprimanded by head

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cheekychops, Dec 12, 2015.

1. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Does anyone else have that dreaded feeling when the head says to you ' Can I have a word with you please'? I have taught for a few years and every time I hear those words I automatically think what have I done wrong. We have a new young head in our school who on the surface of things seems very nice and considerate of the staff but a couple of weeks ago I got the dreaded message. I went in quite optimistic thinking I don't think I have done anything wrong I have tried to do what I am asked etc but was given a bit of a dressing down. I wasn't asked my side of the story just a telling off. Its because of things like this that I once again question whether this is the end of my teaching career

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

:(

Not very nice, in my opinion. I had a very difficult year last year and still get nervous when asked to see the headmaster in my new (much nicer) school. It was resolved very quickly in my case, e.g. the steps I was seen to make meant that the issue was sorted that day (a student unhappy with the class).

I think it very unprofessional that you weren't asked your side of the story - perhaps think of it not as the end of your teaching career, but the beginnings of looking for a new job.

virtual hugs

3. cheekychops

cheekychops New commenter

Thank you for your kind words Lots of issues going on in my home life but was not going to share that with the head.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'm an experienced teacher but I still get that feeling whenever I hear those, or similar, words. I think it stems from having a HT as an NQT who told me off lots when all I needed was an explanation and some encouragement (for example, when having a pupil progress meeting, which I'd never had before).

I'm sorry the HT didn't ask for your side.

5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Were there veiled threats issued? ie. Capability or the likelihood of such. If not then just shrug and try to make a different mistake next time. (If you're like me then no mistakes isn't an option).
    It's possible the new head also feels the need to make a mark and this was the first opportunity to do it in your case.