1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Representation in Media - Microteach ideas?

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rahman4media, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Hi all. Have been given a 30 min microteach on representation in media.
    I've failed the last two interviews due to my microteach lacking structure so this time I'll make sure the learning objectives are clear and are always somehow mentioned.
    I've decided to start with breaking down the word/meaning of representation - opening a discussion with students. Is there anything else I can do for this or should I keep it basic?
    I'm then thinking I'm going to focus on one area of representation and that is gender. So I might get students to look at a film clip which places men and women in their conventional roles.
    This is all I have so far. Of course, I have until Monday and I will sort out all the gaps by then. But for now, if anyone could give me more ideas, I would be really grateful.
    My learning outcomes are that students will discuss the meanings of representation in the media and provide analysis of representation by looking at existing media (film, tv, news, radio, magazine).
    The reason I also failed my last two interviews was because they felt I tried to introduce too much and should have kept it simple. This is for an AS group so hopefully this sounds simple enough?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you in advance.
    Rahman4Media

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Showing a video clip might be considered too passive and teacher led, in that the class will spend time focussed on a screen rather than indulging in group work and passing post it notes around and discussing everything which appears to be de rigeur in observed lessons these days. If I'm fortunate enough to ever get short listed again I will definitely not show a video clip.

If you want to see men and women represented in conventional roles consider using 1930s-1950s newspaper and magazine adverts.

I reckon the trick is to go in, introduce yourself, then shut up and hand out something for them to faff around with for 20 minutes, preferably in groups and without you saying a great deal. Then do the obligatory plenary. That should tick enough OFSTED boxes to get you an interview in the afternoon.

Only my somewhat cynical opinion mind.

3. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

I have no idea what a microteach is, but I can offer this advice.

Your outcomes are too general. You need to be very specific and break them down into knowledge, skills and understanding with provisos in each for what students must, could and should achieve.

For example, all students must be able to identify how women are represented in one genre of film, and students should be able to contrast this with another.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

4. Many moons ago I taught Representation as an interview task - I looked at Representation of gender in sport (it was when the Women's Wor;d Cup was on) so we discussed why the media focused so much on the men's game while virtually ignoring the women's. With Wimledon on you could look at why women's tennis players are reported with reference to their outfits rather than their tennis. Gender stereotyping is a fertile area - sorry this is a bit wishy-washy, I'm not thinking with all cylinders yet!