1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reports - What do they achieve? Are they worth the time spent on them?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by anon1359, May 28, 2011.

1. Reporting to parents in some form is a legal requirement I think?
    The answer I get when I challenge this is "parents like them" [​IMG]
    We tried computer generated report bank versions and had parental complaints they were not personal enough and staff spent ages finding the right statement and the code number to type in to inset it so many prefered writing from scratch as it was quicker. A few years ago I wrote three upper, three middle and three lower reports for each subject and cut and pasted them in as they applied to each child. The head sent them back saying I couldn't do that as parents compare reports and they wouldn't like that little johny had the same literacy report and little jane!
    The head has been warning us about online reporting, but the way she explained it the workload looks even worse.

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

As a parent, I find a good individualised report invaluable. I am quite aware of my sons capabilities - however, I am not aware of the level of work he consistently produces in school, how much he contributes to class discussions, how well he works with partners/groups etc. I don't know individual activities in which he has excelled, how he interacts socially with his peers when I am not around. In short, a report is like a summary of the journey he has taken that year. It might not make a difference to HIM but it does to me. I do not do the school pick up or drop off due to my own work commitments, I get to see the class teacher for 2 very brief 10 minute sessions over the school year which is filled with 'targets for next term' rather than 'this is what your child has done well' and so his schooling can feel largely like a mystery to me!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I should add that I am a class teacher and have spent 90 minutes per child writing my reports, so I know the tedium involved - however, I did personalise them. I find c&p reports insulting, when ds was in year 1 levelled a 2c in Maths his report had generic statements such as 'can order numbers 1-20 on a number line' erm, well I would hope so at a 2c and also, this was a generic statement that was used in his nursery report 2 years before!!!

4. I once wrote a report for a bright Y4 boy and put something like "Johnny can use a written method to add and subtract 3-digit numbers" and the parent came in saying that they'd tested him on that and he couldn't do it!

Therefore now I try to use as few "Johnny can" statements as possible!