1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reporting to parents

Discussion in 'Staff, pupil & parent's wellbeing' started by TILLYMAY, Aug 11, 2020.

1. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

Hi everybody,
    My daughter has just finished Year 7 - throughout the whole year the only academic feedback I have received from her school are the results of baseline tests which students sat at the start of the academic year. Because of Covid 19, Easter reports, Parents Evening and end of Year reports were all cancelled. The lack of an end of year report was not even acknowledged or explained. I have no idea if she has made any progress. The school does not set targets for the students so I don't even have that as a starting point. I am unable to discuss the matter until school reopens in September, but would appreciate some advice from members on here.
    Thank you!

2. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

It will be very hard to assess any progress your daughter has made from March until August due to covid. This is undoubtedly why you have not been issued an end of year report. Most schools I know of are doing the same.

As for any progress prior to March, there should be someone who can report to you. Chances are that right now you'll not be able to get a reply but all staff should have an email address (usually readily available on the school website). I had a number of parents email me asking for feedback and have been happy to oblige as I'm sure your daughter's teachers will be. Failing that, an email to main reception can be picked up and passed on to relevant staff in September too.

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Email the school immediately and raise your concerns sooner than later. You should have received at least a communication regarding reports, home learning, the virus, arrangements for the new year, and other items.

To have received only one lot of Assessments at the very start of the year is not on really.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  4. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Senior commenter

How could she be assessed? I didn't even have class lists for the children I ended up teaching, so many staff couldn't work, illness, bereavement, child care, etc, the timetable was chopped and changed constantly. If I was told the name of a student I would not even be able to tell you the year or key stage, let alone how much progress they made!

Write it off for this year. Its simply not possible.

agathamorse and hhhh like this.
  5. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

6. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

Thanks. I agree, it will be difficult to assess from March, but even a couple of comments regarding level of engagement with work set by school would have been appreciated, particularly as we had received nothing else prior to covid.
    Thanks for your comments.

install likes this.
  7. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

install likes this.
  8. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

Thanks - I agree. I don't want to be critical during what has been a difficult time for everybody but the lack of communication is very frustrating. I will try to arrange a meeting with the Head for early in September.

install likes this.
  9. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

10. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

I agree with the 'write-off' comments above, BUT every school I've ever worked in did a Parents' Evening/report for the first term, so I'd not have been happy about hearing nothing before March. I can't see that you'll get much now though. If there had been any serious issues, the school should have been in touch with you.

11. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

This is true for the period between March and July but there were 6 months of regular schooling prior to this and to date I have no communication from the school re progress made during this time.

install likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

I’d email the school first thing tomorrow to arrange a meeting if necessary . Don’t leave it till September as you need to be on top of the priority pile. Maybe there is a gap somewhere in correspondence.

Why didn’t you contact the school sooner and have you received other communications from the school?

13. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

install likes this.
  14. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

I contacted the school as soon as it became apparent that no end of year assessments were being sent home. This was a couple of days after the end of term, by which time the school had closed. I emailed and requested a meeting with the Head and was told that he was not available until September (which is fair enough; he is entitled to his holiday). Communication throughout lockdown has been poor.

install likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

To be honest this sounds like the difference in expectations between primary and secondary school.
    In primary teachers tell parents everything because the same teacher teaches the child all day and they know them very well and problems tend to have parents going to the head. Reports and parents evenings are harder to co-ordinate in secondary, especially in lockdown, and teachers sometimes only see a year 7 group once a fortnight. The head would not be the person to go to with a problem in the first instance.

As @Corvuscorax20 has said, chances are the teachers setting and assessing work in lockdown weren't the usual teachers. And very possibly the ones your daughter had before Easter have forgotten anything specific about her.

Test results at the start of the year, Easter reports, summer term parents evening and end of year reports sounds normal. It isn't the school's fault that lockdown happened and staff would have been all over the place. Trying to put some semblance of online learning together would have been far more important than sorting out reports. Sounds harsh, but year 7 would not have been a priority group for reporting and assessing.

As a parent you must know how well your daughter engages with school, which subjects she enjoys and whether she has settled in to life in secondary. As @hhhh says, if there were issues with progress you'd have been told.

Many schools, parents and pupils are in exactly the same situation. Currently the school staff will be working really hard to get ready for opening in September and you really need to leave them to do this. The subject teachers are on holiday, so won't be doing anything before September anyway. All you'll get (at most) will be the reason why there were no reports, which you already know.

There will probably be exams again at the start of year 8 and you'll get results and feedback then, so will be able to see progress that way. As you won't be able to have anything more until then, there doesn't seem much point making a big fuss.

agathamorse and littledragon25 like this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

This isn’t good. However the HT will be looking at her/his emails. So I would email the HeadTeacher direct and raise your concerns again. Mark your email Urgent.

Many of the Core teachers will have taught your child several times in each week. The other subjects will be at least once a week. So your child deserves a report on progress for each term. Even the form tutor and Head of Year 7 should also give you feedback. That’s lots of teachers feedback that you have not had on lots about your child.

If there ends up being no report or valid reasons for the lack of communication / progress report since September then write to the Head of Governors and raise a complaint.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  17. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

Thanks for the comments. I have no intention of making a big fuss- I merely want to support my daughter in her education. She is below age expectations in the core subjects and although I do know which lessons she enjoys etc and how she engages with her work, in the absence of any subject specific comments or details of areas in need of improvement, it is difficult to help her. I accept that as a parent I have a responsibility to help my child

install likes this.
  18. TILLYMAY

TILLYMAY New commenter

Thanks for your support. Comments seem divided on here, with some people telling me let it go/write it off/ leave the teachers to get on with making plans for September. The irony is that I am fully supportive of teachers and of education but am being prevented from assisting in my daughter's education because of the lack of communication.

install likes this.
  19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You won't be able to get any comments on progress until term starts again. There is nothing at all the head can do about it during the holidays and you'll probably just get an out of office reply.

If you want to support your daughter over the holidays, then have a look at some of the White rose home learning packs. They are free and excellent. Some of the bits on Oak Academy are great as well and there are things like bitesize.

Communication is usually the top complaint parents have about school!
    Most posters have explained why you won't get what you'd like and only one has (repeatedly) suggested making a fuss and going straight to the head, who almost certainly has no clue who your daughter is!

20. install

install Star commenter

Emailing the Head about no progress report since September isn’t making a big fuss.

Every parent / child has a right to know how well they are doing. And you have already started the ball rolling with an email already but heard nothing. The problem with secondary schools is that sometimes parent requests can be forgotten about. Good luck with this and I hope it’s just a communication problem between the school and you. Just in case I have put a template email below which you can adapt:

Dear HeadTeacher,

My child .............., in Form 7..... has not received any details about progress in any subject at all for any part of her first year. I have not been informed of their percentage attendance either or had any reports ever.

Can you please email me as a matter of urgency as would hate for my child to go through another year of school without any school feedback?

Yours .....