1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Reporting Systems?

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by blahblahblah, Jul 3, 2017.

1. blahblahblah

blahblahblah New commenter

Hi I want to reduce the burden on staff when it comes to the reporting process regarding full subject reports not interim ones.

We have moved to a not very personalised system using SIMs profiles (which aren't great!) where the member of staff enters a current and forecast grade and this then generates a report from a list of pre entered statement banks. Literally one grade fills the comment box and another fills the target box. Does anyone else do something like this ? And what systems do you use as SIMs profiles isn't getting the job done without a massive amount of faffing about!!! Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

BBB

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Do the parents not mind having no comments specific to their children and composed there and then by the teacher's? How many get identical reports except for the name?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you offer free text only, you'll be able to identify the authors of many reports because they are using mental comment banks: try reading a batch of reports with the authors' names concealed!
    That said, I think that comment bank reports have some strengths - such as avoiding spelling errors and making sure all aspects are covered. The downside is that they always look machine-generated and impersonal (the repetition of the pupil's name rather than using pronouns is a giveaway). There's also a bigger chance of the wrong sentences being imported - I'm involved in one of those at the moment with a very unhappy parent. And when parents compare notes they will be unimpressed as well.
    You can come to a middle ground with some standard text and material from comment banks plus some free text, with the opportunity to edit the comment bank material.

4. gsglover

gsglover Occasional commenter

Agreed